DIY Pools

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
biancaalexis

DIY Pools

Post by biancaalexis » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:45 pm

I have a 20g tank, and I want to make a pool for my crabs. I've already ordered a bubbler, but I'm not sure how to go about making the actual pools - any suggestions?
5 Hermies | Lover of Totes | DIY envisionist

hermitcrabdc

Re: DIY Pools

Post by hermitcrabdc » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:28 pm

Most use tupperware bowls. They're probably the best choice for a 20g, other methods would be too big for a 20 :)
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:25 pm

I have a 29g and use rectangular plastic storage containers from the dollar store for the pools.

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b59 ... hhznwc.jpg

To make pool cleaning easier, I've "doubled" the pools using 4 containers: two pools are sunk into the substrate with about 1/2" remaining above ground, then a layer of marbles is placed into the bottom of both pools (marbles make a more uniform "seat" for the top pool than pebbles do) -- this allows the "top" pools to easily be lifted out for cleaning without having to re-dig holes for them. Each top pool has a layer of pebbles, a few clam-type shells, a small plastic aquarium plant and a craft mesh ramp to aid ingress/egress.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
biancaalexis

Post by biancaalexis » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:45 am

Crabinski wrote:I have a 29g and use rectangular plastic storage containers from the dollar store for the pools.

To make pool cleaning easier, I've "doubled" the pools using 4 containers: two pools are sunk into the substrate with about 1/2" remaining above ground, then a layer of marbles is placed into the bottom of both pools (marbles make a more uniform "seat" for the top pool than pebbles do) -- this allows the "top" pools to easily be lifted out for cleaning without having to re-dig holes for them. Each top pool has a layer of pebbles, a few clam-type shells, a small plastic aquarium plant and a craft mesh ramp to aid ingress/egress.
Thank you so much! the photo really helps
5 Hermies | Lover of Totes | DIY envisionist

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:44 pm

Crabinski wrote:I have a 29g and use rectangular plastic storage containers from the dollar store for the pools.

Clever! I like the way you think! :wink:
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

staticfurball

Post by staticfurball » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:27 pm

I've "doubled" the pools using 4 containers: two pools are sunk into the substrate with about 1/2" remaining above ground, then a layer of marbles is placed into the bottom of both pools (marbles make a more uniform "seat" for the top pool than pebbles do) -- this allows the "top" pools to easily be lifted out for cleaning without having to re-dig holes for them.
I did the same it make it so much easier for my cleaning. An added bonus is that sometimes my crabs dig under them and it gives me quick acess to check up on the every now and then and it doesn't disturb them.

Pinchersparadise

Post by Pinchersparadise » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:10 pm

I've actually been making pools for people! And they would fit in a 20 gallon :)Image

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Crabbing for almost 2 years & 9 crabs, Herman, Hermina, Geraldo, Madison, Monona, pip, and 3 unnamed.55 gallon with 29 gallon topper & 20 gallon.

Pinchersparadise

Post by Pinchersparadise » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:11 pm

But they're super easy to make. :D

Crabbing for almost 2 years & 9 crabs, Herman, Hermina, Geraldo, Madison, Monona, pip, and 3 unnamed.55 gallon with 29 gallon topper & 20 gallon.

prismatik

Post by prismatik » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:03 pm

@pinchersparadise, those are beautiful pools. Where can you get those clear containers from? I've seen many tupperware containers but they all look too opaque.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:46 am

prismatik wrote:@pinchersparadise, those are beautiful pools. Where can you get those clear containers from? I've seen many tupperware containers but they all look too opaque.
Looks like some critter keepers to me. :) Could be wrong, but KK have similar shape plus they both clear!
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Pinchersparadise

Post by Pinchersparadise » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:57 pm

Yup, similar to the kritter keeper, but a different brand.

prismatik

Post by prismatik » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:32 pm

Thank you :)

Krusty Krab

Post by Krusty Krab » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:30 pm

I don't have a 20 gal yet, but I would personally like the pools to be more deep than they are wide so the hermies can wade at the bottom :)

CupidStunt

Post by CupidStunt » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:07 am

I had been looking for the mini paint trim trays, but all Walmart/dollar tree/Home Depot had been carrying for MONTHS were these deep bowl things with a long handle for hanging on a ladder.

FINALLY I found the shallower/tilted entry (like paint roller trays, just mini), and I HATE them. WAY too shallow for my two large PPs. I'm honestly thinking about buying this betta tank: http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Plax-Twin-Bo ... B0002DJGCS

Just not sure it would be wide enough?

mool

Post by mool » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:12 pm

I personally do not put plastic of any kind in my tanks if I can avoid it. The only plastic I concede to are the temp and humidity gauges.

My pools are glass (Pyrex) or ceramic baking dishes. Right now I have rather shallow ones at 2-3" (cake), but I'm going to upgrade to bread pans which should be 4" or so.

I get them at 2nd hand stores.