How do I get my temp to keep?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Mary32

How do I get my temp to keep?

Post by Mary32 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:04 pm

Just found this sight- its amazin!
So I have 3 wonderful crabs that I am very proud of; Harold, Holly, and Han (in that order), and 1 I am not proud of; Hal, who cut off Hans eyes. Don't name anything Hal every. Any way: I need help figuring how to keep my temperature better regulated. Currently I use a space heater to keep them warm enough, which results in my constantly roasting to death.
Here are my specs:
I have 4 small or medium crabs in a 10 gallon glass tank. I have from 2-5 in of substrate. It is probably 3:4 coconut fiber:play sand (I know, I will fix it soon). I have a lizard lid which I have taken to covering with tin foil for the humidty. I have fresh and salt water pools, a cool lookin rock, a cool lookin stick, some shredded cotton wood sub-bark (which they love), a bunch of shells, a food rock, a climb net, and I just took out a few chick-and-hen plats that they like to eat. They love popcorn too (no salt or butter).
I just tested my humidity thingy and it reads a bit low- so I will need to up the humidity- but it seems pretty damp to me. Th thermometer is calibrated, and reads as low as 70(I know, I try to keep it above that) to as high as 75. I have an UTH for I think a 20 gallon just lining the substrate on the back. I gotta get my little crabs warm so they will be healthy, and happpy- and stop chopping eyes off! And I gotta do it cheap, cause I am poor. Help me out will ya?

I was just at the pet store, and I was lookin at the night heat bulbs(The strange/black purple ones) and that might be a possibility- but I wanted to know weather or not it is actually okay for crabs. What can I do for the little buddies?

Also, real fast- I was lookin at buying them more so shells on the wholesale sights listed here. (hopefully we can all keep our eyeballs this way). Are the measurements for the size of the shell, or the size of the opening?

Thanks yall, keep crabbin!
Mary :crabblush:

Krusty Krab

Re: How do I get my temp to keep?

Post by Krusty Krab » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:41 am

How about a UTH (under tank heater) put it on the side of the tank.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Krusty Krab

Post by Krusty Krab » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:41 am

20$ for a 10-20 gal usually

Krusty Krab

Post by Krusty Krab » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:42 am

They have it at petsmart.

AutumnHermie

Post by AutumnHermie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:43 am

@KrustyKrab, pet store heaters are generally overpriced and do not raise the temperature of the tank more than a few degrees. They also cannot be insulated to provide more heat. A usually cheaper and much better option is an U.T.H from beanfarm.com or reptilebasics.com and look at their UTHs. They worked wonders for me.
Owner of 12 PP's , 4 Blue's, and 2 straw's.

Krusty Krab

Post by Krusty Krab » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:35 am

Wow, I did not know that. Thanks for the info. Will order from there.

Topic author
Mary32

Post by Mary32 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:27 pm

I already have a UTH and I aint convinced about it's glories. Any other ideas/solutions/arguments?

Kittykimbro@att.net

Post by Kittykimbro@att.net » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:58 pm

Mary32 wrote:I already have a UTH and I aint convinced about it's glories. Any other ideas/solutions/arguments?
You said your UTH is covering the substrate. It should be above the substrate on either the back or side of the tank. If it is being blocked by the substrate, the heat is blocked as well.
You can also insulate the UTH with cardboard, foil or bubble wrap, depending on the type you have. Generally the sticky ones cannot be insulated and the ones you tape on, such as Ultratherm, can be. Check your paperwork or online for this information as insulating the wrong type can be a fire hazard.
You can also use the infrared or Moonglow type heat lamp bulbs, but black lights are harmful to your crabs eyes. A regular light bulb will also put off heat and can be used in the daytime. Your crabs need 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of dark per day.
I have a 10g that use just an infrared light for heat and a 55g that I use an 11x47 ultratherm UTH on the back positioned just above the substrate and a heat lamp that I swap out the infrared and regular bulb with.
Thsee are the things I have that work for me. You can find more on the portal page under care and conditions, lighting and heating.
I hope this helps. :D

4 Shy PPs (New Family Members)
1 Senior Loveable Mutt Dog (13yrs)
5 Grown (Whew) Children
2 wonderful Granddaughters
1 Patient Husband!