Moss Pit Question

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
NLindsey921

Moss Pit Question

Post by NLindsey921 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:31 am

So I recently added a moss pit to my tank. I used a plastic shower shelf with suction cups from target to make it. For the moss, I used exoterra compressed forest moss from petsmart. My crabs love it. :bigsmile: however, I cant really seem to make the moss stay moist. It loses water really fast and I have to spray it two to three times a day. Am I doing something wrong or is this just how the moss is supposed to behave?
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

Hermie225

Re: Moss Pit Question

Post by Hermie225 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:44 am

I use sphagnum moss and just let it soak in a bowl of distilled water for about 5 mins then wring it out a bit so that its not dripping wet. Try that and see if it helps! Also what do you for a lid on your 'tat? If you use a mesh lid you could put plastic wrap on the top to help keep in moisture.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Topic author
NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:01 pm

the lid came attached to the crabitat and it is mostly plastic with a mesh rectangle in the middle about 11"x5.5" on a twenty gallon tank
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

orangefire

Post by orangefire » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:09 pm

If the moss is close to your heat source, that could potentially be drying it out more quickly.
Crab Army: 3 PP's strong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Shi Shi Sha!!" -Rusty Shackleford

Elsdad

Post by Elsdad » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:42 pm

I just spritz my moss pits every other day or when they start drying out.

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:03 pm

NLindsey921 wrote:So I recently added a moss pit to my tank. I used a plastic shower shelf with suction cups from target to make it. For the moss, I used exoterra compressed forest moss from petsmart. My crabs love it. :bigsmile: however, I cant really seem to make the moss stay moist. It loses water really fast and I have to spray it two to three times a day. Am I doing something wrong or is this just how the moss is supposed to behave?
You are not doing anything wrong. Moss is going to dry out regardless. I also soak mine when I put it in, but within the next day it is dry again. I just spray it with Dechlorinated water every time I am in there doing tank maintenance. The crabs will use it either way, however mine get excited when its wet! If you have it under a lamp it will dry out even faster. Not sure if you do or not, but wanted to include that! I would just keep spraying and fluffing it once a day. Don't worry if its not soaked :)
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1