NEW 56G Jungle Paradise

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
marandashermies

Re: NEW 56G Jungle Paradise

Post by marandashermies » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:48 pm

hprmom wrote:@marandashermies, your new tank is gorgeous!!! I'm inspired.

I definitely want to go with a wide v. long tank now! I'm looking at a Deep Blue 35 gallon cube, 20" in all dimensions; a 40 breeder; or an Exo Terra 24x18x18 (but I'm hesitant about the front opening doors, plus it's the priciest). According to aquariumdimensions.com, Aqueon makes a 50 (36x18x19), but I've never seen it available locally. I love the idea of the 20" cube and I think it would fit our six small/medium hermies for a long while. But the more I look at how crammed our 10 and 20 gallon tanks are, the greedier I get for more floor space! My husband is worried about the heights of the tanks, since my 7-year old reaches inside to help with caregiving.

Tell me about your background! How are people using backgrounds with ultratherms on the back of the tank?

Also, where did you find your plastic plant that looks like philodendron? Our dollar stores only carry single stems, and the vine-like plants at the craft store mostly have small leaves (like bamboo).

Beautiful, beautiful job on your 56!
Thanks, it was fun to do! I don't know about the cube tanks, but the 40 breeder is nice. I also like Exo;s but like you said, they are more expensive and you would most likely have to put in the sheet of plexiglass in the front of it to make the sub deep enough in the tank. But I do like those a lot with the opening front like that! But I would go as big as you can, with the space you have and the amount you are working with too spend! I use a step stool to get in and out of all my tanks, my daughter just watches :)

I just taped on my background, taped on the UTH and then insulated it with poster board. Lots of duc tape later and ta-da!

If you are talking about the plant that I think you are, I got it at a local mom and pop pet store. Its actually a reptile decoration with a suction cup and then I just turned it sideways. I think they were like $7 or $8 dollars a piece? I get my flowers from the dollar store, but not the green plants I put in my tanks. My dollar store doesn't carry any decent vines or anything. I didn't like the ones at Michael's either, and have had luck with this brand in the past, so I went with them again! Thanks again for the compliments! Cant wait to see what you decide to do with your next upgrade!
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:10 am

marandashermies wrote:
AleyedtoBuggie wrote:
marandashermies wrote:
hands down the 56g! I prefer the width vs. the length. I just feel like you can do so much more (decorating wise) when you have more width. That is what attracted me to the 40g, but I knew once I filled it with all the sub I would need for the straws, I would literally have like 5 inches above ground to work with my cholla pieces would have never fit! :D I highly recommend the 56g! I am sure your kids would be OK with you going for it! :laugh::

PS! I had my first straw come up from his molt (boomer) I was SOOOO excited to see him last night. He looks so beautiful and bright. I know straws have a harder time with molts and often don't make it, so I have been on pins and needles. Now I just need the other 5 to surface... :fingerscrossed:
This might seem like a dumb question...but I'm a pretty new crabber and I just bought a 55 gallon to upgrade to from a 25 gallon. Is there really such a difference between a 55 and a 56 gallon? I'm worried I should have bought the 75 gallon instead, but I can't really afford it at the moment and idk if I would fit in my apt.

Ps. I LOVE YOUR TANK! It's so lovely and well thought out! I love pics of new builds/upgrades.

Pps. What did you attach the cholla wood to with the little zipties? I see them at the top but I can't tell how they stay up lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk
Thank you! Honestly, when I am doing these builds, I just buy stuff that I like and then put it together as I go. I never have any idea what I am going to do until I start! But I am glad you like it :D
No such thing as a dumb question! Congrats on the upgrade to the 55g! You must be enjoying all that space compared to the 25g. :) Have you posted any pics? We would love to see it if you haven't!

The difference between the 55g and the 56g is the footprint of the tank. The 55g is longer and not as wide, where the 56g is not very long but is wide and tall. It has the same footprint as a 40g breeder, but it has more height. So there is a pretty big difference, but both tanks are very nice. I also have a 55g and like it, but when I decorate, I prefer to use items that fill the air space a bit more than the floor space. Its just a personal preference. The 75g is also a VERY nice tank, I was looking into those before I got my 125g. But in the end, decided for just a little more $$ I would go a bit bigger. But at this point, I don't think I can build any more tats, or my floor might collapse! lol. I would have to put them downstairs and that makes it too hard for cleaning, food, maintenance and I am never down there. I think taking care of 3 tanks and 40 crabs is enough work for me! :wink:

The Cholla is zip tied to the moss pits and a couple are zip tied to my corner guards. Here is a link to one of my posts regarding the corner guards.http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... ds#p998140 I love them and would be lost with out them! Highly recommend adding them to any new set up. It makes life a lot easier for us human folk. Plus the crabs like to crawl on them and do crab dives into the pools! lol
However, they have to be siliconed to the tank, so you have to do it a few days before adding crabs to the tank. I did mine about a week prior to make sure they were secured and the stinky smell dissipated. :silent:
I bought a new hermit today. I'm still setting up the 55 gallon but it is more long than it is tall. This hermie seems a lot less afraid of me so that's good. Also what is your recommended sand to eco brick ratio?

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:04 am

Did you do the false bottom on this one? I've been reading so many crabitat build threads to get ideas, I forgot!

Topic author
marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:08 am

hprmom wrote:Did you do the false bottom on this one? I've been reading so many crabitat build threads to get ideas, I forgot!
No false bottom on this one! I only have a false bottom on my 125g since I have filter s pools and a fogger. False bottoms are a lot of work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}

Topic author
marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:12 am

AleyedtoBuggie wrote:
marandashermies wrote:
AleyedtoBuggie wrote: This might seem like a dumb question...but I'm a pretty new crabber and I just bought a 55 gallon to upgrade to from a 25 gallon. Is there really such a difference between a 55 and a 56 gallon? I'm worried I should have bought the 75 gallon instead, but I can't really afford it at the moment and idk if I would fit in my apt.

Ps. I LOVE YOUR TANK! It's so lovely and well thought out! I love pics of new builds/upgrades.

Pps. What did you attach the cholla wood to with the little zipties? I see them at the top but I can't tell how they stay up lol.

Thank you! Honestly, when I am doing these builds, I just buy stuff that I like and then put it together as I go. I never have any idea what I am going to do until I start! But I am glad you like it :D
No such thing as a dumb question! Congrats on the upgrade to the 55g! You must be enjoying all that space compared to the 25g. :) Have you posted any pics? We would love to see it if you haven't!

The difference between the 55g and the 56g is the footprint of the tank. The 55g is longer and not as wide, where the 56g is not very long but is wide and tall. It has the same footprint as a 40g breeder, but it has more height. So there is a pretty big difference, but both tanks are very nice. I also have a 55g and like it, but when I decorate, I prefer to use items that fill the air space a bit more than the floor space. Its just a personal preference. The 75g is also a VERY nice tank, I was looking into those before I got my 125g. But in the end, decided for just a little more $$ I would go a bit bigger. But at this point, I don't think I can build any more tats, or my floor might collapse! lol. I would have to put them downstairs and that makes it too hard for cleaning, food, maintenance and I am never down there. I think taking care of 3 tanks and 40 crabs is enough work for me! :wink:

The Cholla is zip tied to the moss pits and a couple are zip tied to my corner guards. Here is a link to one of my posts regarding the corner guards.http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... ds#p998140 I love them and would be lost with out them! Highly recommend adding them to any new set up. It makes life a lot easier for us human folk. Plus the crabs like to crawl on them and do crab dives into the pools! lol
However, they have to be siliconed to the tank, so you have to do it a few days before adding crabs to the tank. I did mine about a week prior to make sure they were secured and the stinky smell dissipated. :silent:
I bought a new hermit today. I'm still setting up the 55 gallon but it is more long than it is tall. This hermie seems a lot less afraid of me so that's good. Also what is your recommended sand to eco brick ratio?

I use 1 50lb bag and add in 1/2 a brick (or a little more) of Eco. I put the bag of sand in a big tote and then I add the saturated Eco into that and mix. Then I add to the tank and repeat!

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:50 am

marandashermies wrote:
AleyedtoBuggie wrote:
marandashermies wrote: Thank you! Honestly, when I am doing these builds, I just buy stuff that I like and then put it together as I go. I never have any idea what I am going to do until I start! But I am glad you like it :D

I use 1 50lb bag and add in 1/2 a brick (or a little more) of Eco. I put the bag of sand in a big tote and then I add the saturated Eco into that and mix. Then I add to the tank and repeat!

I ended up buying one eco earth brick and one 50 lb bag of play sand. I soaked the brick so it expanded and then just kept mixing and dumping. I used all of both and my humidity is great so far! Image

In the 55 gal, I figure I'll use 4-5 bags of play sand to 4-5 bricks.

Topic author
marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:22 am

that sounds about right! I think If I remember correctly, I used 6 bags of sand. When I set up my 55g, I used the bags of eco earth (dumb I know, way more expensive) so not sure how that would calculate to bricks. But I would probably buy what you stated and if you have extra, I am sure you will end up using it eventually! Just remember that the sand does settle, so if you want say 10inch, add about 11. Cant wait to see your build! :)

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:05 am

I come home and the crabs are acting like they are best buddies...they are just staring at me. The bigger one is new. I have dubbed him Violet, bc he is mostly all purple except for one claw that's the usual purple pincher reddish orange. The little one is Buggie. I've had him for almost a month. He's my first crab. Yesterday, I put Violet (the bigger one) in the tank because I don't have an established ISO. I was kinda worried because the difference between them is greater than I thought it was when I bought Violet at Petco 2 days ago. Idk what I saw, but Violet was on top of Buggie and he looked like he was going for the opening of his shell(Buggie's). I grabbed Violet and dipped him in his salt water dish to cool him off(figuratively lol). He stopped then and there have been no incidents since. Today, I come home to innocent crabby eyes! They haven't moved since I got home or as I type this. Just seem to both be staring at me. Image

Last edited by AleyedtoBuggie on Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:16 pm

AleyedtoBuggie wrote:I come home and the crabs are acting like they are best buddies...they are just staring at me. The bigger one is new. I have dubbed him Violet, bc he is mostly all purple except for one claw that's the usual purple pincher reddish orange. The little one is Buggie. I've had him for almost a month. He's my first crab. Yesterday, I put Violet (the bigger one) in the tank because I don't have an established ISO. I was kinda worried because the difference between them is greater than I thought it was when I bought Violet at Petco 2 days ago. Idk what I saw, but Violet was one top of Buggie and he looked like he was going for the opening of his shell(Buggie's). I grabbed Violet and dipped him in his salt water dish to cool him off(figuratively lol). He stopped then and there have been no incidents since. Today, I come home to innocent crabby eyes! They haven't moved since I got home or as I type this. Just seem to both be staring at me. Image

They are probably just distressing. They are very cute though, love the names!! I wouldn't worry above the size difference. I have large's with micros and have yet to have any issues. Often its the little ones that go after the big ones and bug them, if it does happen. At least in my experience They were most likely just checking each other out! If you see any of them grabbing at the shell and rocking the crab back and forth, then you definitely want to intervene. But I am sure they were just getting to know eachother :)

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:49 pm

marandashermies wrote:
AleyedtoBuggie wrote:I come home and the crabs are acting like they are best buddies...they are just staring at me. The bigger one is new. I have dubbed him Violet, bc he is mostly all purple except for one claw that's the usual purple pincher reddish orange. The little one is Buggie. I've had him for almost a month. He's my first crab. Yesterday, I put Violet (the bigger one) in the tank because I don't have an established ISO. I was kinda worried because the difference between them is greater than I thought it was when I bought Violet at Petco 2 days ago. Idk what I saw, but Violet was on top of Buggie and he looked like he was going for the opening of his shell(Buggie's). I grabbed Violet and dipped him in his salt water dish to cool him off(figuratively lol). He stopped then and there have been no incidents since. Today, I come home to innocent crabby eyes! They haven't moved since I got home or as I type this. Just seem to both be staring at me. Image

They are probably just distressing. They are very cute though, love the names!! I wouldn't worry above the size difference. I have large's with micros and have yet to have any issues. Often its the little ones that go after the big ones and bug them, if it does happen. At least in my experience They were most likely just checking each other out! If you see any of them grabbing at the shell and rocking the crab back and forth, then you definitely want to intervene. But I am sure they were just getting to know eachother :)
Good to know thanks! Although for the past few days Buggie had been MIA, I wonder if he is trying to molt. Violet seems a little lonely up by himself.

Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:12 pm

That tank is AAAAAMAZING!!! :crabbigsmile: where did u get the cholla
owner of 10 happy hermies! tiny micro, arora small, problem small, romeo small, Juliet small, berry small, mars medium, katniss medium, lucky large, and the big head honcho hugo:) :) RIP shy Check out my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW91Ko ... s84MrO0zog

Topic author
marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:56 am

Ilovehermies74 wrote:That tank is AAAAAMAZING!!! :crabbigsmile: where did u get the cholla
thanks! I buy it off of eBay- Missy's Corner

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:34 am

What's the height on this tank again? 20"? Thanks. :)

Topic author
marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:26 pm

hprmom wrote:What's the height on this tank again? 20"? Thanks. :)
I believe its 24inch high :)

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:55 pm

marandashermies wrote:
hprmom wrote:What's the height on this tank again? 20"? Thanks. :)
I believe its 24inch high :)
Wow, that's high! Love the room above the sub for climbing.