What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2016~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Lokalai

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by Lokalai » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:21 pm

@Fantasybookworm, thank you for sharing that with me. I'll have to try that stuff for my guys just to see if they like it or not too. :) I have a leopard gecko and I have suppliments I use for him, I don't know if it's the same or not, but I have my suspicions that it is. I use Rep Cal calcium with and without D3 as well as the vitamin that they offer. I've tried the calcium with D3 since I accidentally ordered an extra and they were all over it.
Sorry for the late reply too :lol:
125 Gallon 7PP - Missy (Med), Twitchy (Med), Blue (S), Peep (S), Pokey (T), Tiny Squiggle (Micro), Munchy (S)

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:07 pm

Last night was feeding night! So since I have three tanks I put out a total of 6 dishes, 3 for food and 3 for supplements. I took the picture below after I already gave Bubba his.

From Left to right;
Goji Berry
Star Fruit
Strawberry
Mango
Broccoli
Bell Pepper
Fresh Coconut
Carrot Powdered
Tilapia
Banana/flower/leaf/mealworm mix (next to coconut)
Crab Taco (seaweed, shrimp, fish & squid)
Chicken & Corn Powdered
Clam

Supplement dishes were pretty basic last night;
Worm castings, egg shell, bee pollen, flax seeds and HCP Honey Coral Calcium (huge hit with the kids)
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

jwhite1083

Post by jwhite1083 » Tue May 03, 2016 6:19 am

Fresh coconut
oak leaves
maple leaves
dried shrimp
cuttlebone
kombu seaweed

CrabbyCakes

Post by CrabbyCakes » Wed May 18, 2016 3:47 pm

marandashermies wrote:Last night was feeding night! So since I have three tanks I put out a total of 6 dishes, 3 for food and 3 for supplements. I took the picture below after I already gave Bubba his.

From Left to right;
Goji Berry
Star Fruit
Strawberry
Mango
Broccoli
Bell Pepper
Fresh Coconut
Carrot Powdered
Tilapia
Banana/flower/leaf/mealworm mix (next to coconut)
Crab Taco (seaweed, shrimp, fish & squid)
Chicken & Corn Powdered
Clam

Supplement dishes were pretty basic last night;
Worm castings, egg shell, bee pollen, flax seeds and HCP Honey Coral Calcium (huge hit with the kids)
That is so beautiful I want to eat it.

I bought my guys a clam. It was quite the process to get it open. Also on the menu, cuddle fish, chia seeds, freeze dried shrimp, peanut butter and seaweed.
“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” ― Aldo Leopold

CrabbyCakes

Post by CrabbyCakes » Thu May 26, 2016 3:26 pm

Today I gave the guys a black cherry and they went to town!
“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” ― Aldo Leopold

Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Sat May 28, 2016 1:47 pm

My hermies go nuts over freeze dried krill :)
owner of 10 happy hermies! tiny micro, arora small, problem small, romeo small, Juliet small, berry small, mars medium, katniss medium, lucky large, and the big head honcho hugo:) :) RIP shy Check out my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW91Ko ... s84MrO0zog

jennifer711983

Post by jennifer711983 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:45 am

Today's menu for both tanks includes: worm castings, fresh mango, egg shell, bee pollen, clover, freeze dried shrimp, tropical popcorn blend from hermit crab patch as well as garden mix and basic mix from that site, freeze dried fruits and veggies and some coconut.
Sounds like a lot but it's just a tiny bit of each...my crabs just have a variety of favorites and these new dishes (great idea from Facebook comment!) is a great way to give them all some yummies.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:27 am

jennifer711983 wrote:Image
Today's menu for both tanks includes: worm castings, fresh mango, egg shell, bee pollen, clover, freeze dried shrimp, tropical popcorn blend from hermit crab patch as well as garden mix and basic mix from that site, freeze dried fruits and veggies and some coconut.
Sounds like a lot but it's just a tiny bit of each...my crabs just have a variety of favorites and these new dishes (great idea from Facebook comment!) is a great way to give them all some yummies.
Are the dishes little watercolor palettes? What a great idea!
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

jennifer711983

Post by jennifer711983 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:49 am

Yes! Someone on the Facebook page of this forum suggested them the other day and I ran out and got some because it was genius! They come in a 4 pack from JoAnn Fabrics....you could find them elsewhere but they were cheapest there and since only a couple sizes in the pack work I didn't wanna spend a ton.
http://www.joann.com/simply-art-assorte ... --/2359891
They were on sale the day I bought them plus I had a coupon so I ended up paying $3.98 for each pack. And bonus...one of my packs had 2 of the size I used stuck together so I got 3! Lol

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

CrabbyCakes

Post by CrabbyCakes » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:40 pm

@jennifer711983 what a genius idea!

Today I am give the little guys some kelp I harvested from the rive at the back of my property. I am not sure if any of you are from NC but this map is great and will tell you what your stream/ river is named and the classification of the water so you can find out if there is any restrictions on harvesting kelp or what not. http://ncdenr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/weba ... c80dd64265

I just put it in the tank and they do not seem impressed but we will see!

Menders

Post by Menders » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:55 pm

zippity wrote:Dang, our crabs eat better than we do! I'm impressed by the menus!!!

Last night crabbies ate:

Wild salmon a friend brought back from Alaska
Sauteed spinach
Carrots
Mashed blueberries with honey
cuttlebone
coconut
fresh organic plum from my neighbor's tree

How did they like the plum? I have a huge container of organic plums. I am a new crabber and thought about giving my 3 crabs some. And this may be a stupid question, no, I am certain it is... But, how small should you cut the food up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Menders

Post by Menders » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:03 pm

Hello! I am a new crab caregiver. I threw out the pellets that the store insisted that I give them. And thanks to this forum and it's lovely, informed, and helpful members, I have begun making their "dinner". Tonight they are having pistachios, green grapes, pears, and a drizzle of honey. Yesterday they seemed to really enjoy bananas, pistachios (a favorite but do not plan to offer every night)and pretzels. All of which are unseasoned and organic :) can they have sliced deli turkey (organic) I didn't see ot on the good or bad list. I know it is not ideal, but as a protein based treat until I can get cast worms (hopefully from the pet store?)

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:45 pm

Menders wrote:can they have sliced deli turkey (organic) I didn't see ot on the good or bad list. I know it is not ideal, but as a protein based treat until I can get cast worms (hopefully from the pet store?)
As long as the deli turkey is unseasoned and has no preservatives added, it's fine. They'd also enjoy bits of unseasoned cooked chicken, raw ground turkey, any type of fish (raw or cooked and unseasoned) and raw shellfish such as shrimp and scallops. A good source of freeze-dried protein to keep on hand is Fluker's Aquatic Turtle Medley (mealworms, shrimp and crickets): you can offer them whole items or crush them up as part of a base mix.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Menders

Post by Menders » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:48 pm

Okay, I think I will pass on the turkey. I don't want yo risk it. I will check into the Medley. I just ordered from Hermie's Kitchen and I am super excited!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:45 pm

Menders wrote:Okay, I think I will pass on the turkey. I don't want yo risk it. I will check into the Medley. I just ordered from Hermie's Kitchen and I am super excited!

I wouldn't offer any deli meats as they have generally been brined, seasoned, or smoked and there is no telling what was used in the flavoring process. Onion powder is a popular component in many commercial seasoning blends and onion is on the unsafe list.

If you have an egg they can it that for protein. Boil it and mash it shell and all for them. Or scramble it without butter or seasonings, again shell and all.