Setting up a 157 gal tank!

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Setting up a 157 gal tank!

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:18 am

MuseCrazy wrote:She has kept a SW set up before. Years ago though I was like 5. There will be 20 crabs using and dumping their poop in the pools, I don't think the sump method would be efficient in transforming the ammonia fast enough. Is that what you use in your pool? I really just want to get a good cycle going so I only have to do the 20% water changes like you ;) the fish is just an idea.
There was that other member on here that had marine hermits in their salt water pool but I forgot who it was so I can't bombard them with questions.
It great that she had a SW setup, if there is any problems she can be a great starting point before asking online forums, one bad thing about the fishkeeping community is that information is constantly changing - I guess it is like our hermies - as new ideas & research come out. I have a few fish books thats not even 8 years old, and they recommend a undergravel filter for a SW tank or a canister. Nowadays, you will see that opposite! :)
Once the sump gets established, it will work better than most filters IMO. This is due to the large surface area and over time, algae, bacteria & small invertebrates like copepods will form in large numbers and break down waste. However, in saying that water changes are important in removing other nasties like nitrite. Personally, I would love to use the sump method on my pools (and my fish tank, the canister is a pain to clean), however with them being large totes it is very impractical & difficult! :)
To get a good cycle going you will need a food source for the bacteria. Many people do this by feeding the tank with fish food (yes, feeding an empty tank) or by dousing the tank with ammonia. ;) To keep up with the bacteria colony once the tank get established, the hermie poop will do quite fine.
Also it is important to note that at the start there will be high levels of ammonia/nitrate/nitrite. The only way you can remove this and possible making it safe for the crabs is regular water changes. After the ammonia & nitrate has peaked and running at 0 ppm then a weekly water change (of 10 - 50% depending on what you feel is best) is all you need. :) However it will take quite a while to get the pool established - about a month or so. :D
If you ever need to clean the filter, please wash it out in the "dirty" tank water like when you do the water change, otherwise you will get another pool cycle as most of the bacteria will die.
BTW, the member that has the MHC is Curlz. ;)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:50 am

Thank you so much Aussie, you've been very helpful ;)

imallsmiles1431

Post by imallsmiles1431 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:45 pm

WANT
:molted::
Mary Nerys
12 HC's: 2 E's, 10 PP's. 15 Betta fish: 12 females, 3 males.
1 Leopard Gecko. 1 Goldendoodle dog.

musicalhermies

Post by musicalhermies » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:07 pm

I can't wait to see what you do with this!! :banana:

Topic author
MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:03 am

I'm done! (For the most part) I still have 3 crabs under in the 20 gallon, but the rest of my clan are in!

ImageImageImageImageImage Imagemore pics in the morning, worked on it from 2pm to 2am lol

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:14 am

Looks awesome! Just need a few more things in there, it looks very empty! :)
(I assume that your getting a substrate for the SW pool, I not sure crabs will find it easy to walk around a bare bottom tank. )
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Topic author
MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:52 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Looks awesome! Just need a few more things in there, it looks very empty! :)
(I assume that your getting a substrate for the SW pool, I not sure crabs will find it easy to walk around a bare bottom tank. )
All my local pet store has is gravel lol, so I was like screw it, going BB until the cycle is complete and I can find some aragonite sand. So far 2 snails and possibly a flame scallop came in on the live rock, I did see a little star fish when I first got it home.

This is what I woke up to! ImageImageImageImageImageImage The E's really love doing laps up and down the tank Image

I tried to get a pic of the scallop thing but... Yeah lol ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Temp and humidity are good, humidifier comes today, ultra therm in the near future, for now i have 3 zoo meds on the tank.
All I need are my strawberries :D

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:37 pm

Curious, do you have the HOB filter buried in the sand?? I was wondering if you could, as I would like to get a HOB into my SW pool however with it buried into the sand I thinking my idea might not be possible.
...going BB until the cycle is complete and I can find some aragonite sand...
I worry about the hermies, they won't get a very good grip on glass & they might find it difficult to move around. Also, if you're going to add aragonite sand later one it will do another (mini) cycle. IMO, I would just add it now so the copepod population can develop.
...so far 2 snails and possibly a flame scallop came in on the live rock...
Wow, you're already got some hitchhikers in there! :) I heard that the flame scallops can get pretty big, so word of warning! (Thankfully you don't have a mantis shrimp, then we could worry :lol: ) Another curious question, what type of snails do you have?

But looks like the hermies are having fun; must be all that leg room! :D

Topic author
MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:27 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
The filter rests just above the sand. I actually had to mod it because the filter is a little taller than my tank so i had to trim it.

The crabs mostly perch on the coral and live rock and dip their claws in the water.

The snails are way too small for me to tell lol. I went to a fish store today to try an ID them myself but I'm stumped. Image

Topic author
MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:40 pm

Also the humidifier came, but silly me forgot to buy the big aquarium tubing Image

Topic author
MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:26 pm

Humidifier set up!
ImageImageImage

They love basking in the mist

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:34 pm

MuseCrazy wrote:The snails are way too small for me to tell lol. I went to a fish store today to try an ID them myself but I'm stumped. Image
Looks like you've got some Astraea Snails in there.

Great pics - plus great crabs! :lol:
Also loving the new humidifier, i can tell that the crabs are liking it too. :)

Topic author
MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:43 pm

The flame scallop died :(
I thought about feeding it to the crabs but decided against it Image

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:11 pm

Sorry hun
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Breeezy

Post by Breeezy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:37 pm

MuseCrazy wrote: My mom has kept them before so she can help me out. The 157 came with all the testing solutions I'll need to monitor the cycling, and I just joined a marine aquarium forum so that's where I'm getting my info. It's just a thought at this point lol. I had a yellow tailed blue damsel in mind cause they should be fast enough if the crabs do try to hunt them. But what kind of filter should I use, is the real question.
I wouldn't get a yellow tailed damsel. They need A LOT of open swimming space. I'd go for something small that doesn't swim much. Maybe a goby of some sort? As for filtration, can you drill the tank and sump it? You'll have way more stable conditions in the water. I doubt a SW fish will stay alive with the way a lot of us do water change and filtration.
4 Purple Pinchers (Hodor, Spree, Rosie, Leonardo, and Lucy), 1 Strawberry (Denver), 4 Ecuadorians (Dexter, Leeloo, Ghost, and Dr. Zoidberg)
1 Pembroke Welsh Corgi (Thorin)