Homemade hermit crab food?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Hermiearth

Re: Homemade hermit crab food?

Post by Hermiearth » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:33 pm

HermitCrabAddicted wrote:Was wondering if anyone knows how to make dried fruit in the oven? I was going to buy a food dehydrator, but saw I could dry fruits in the oven but just not sure how to...lol

Thanks!
This is how I do it- put the fruit in the freezer for a week on something with as little surface touching the fruit as possible (like a cookie tray). After a week you can test if the fruit is ready by taking a piece out and letting it dethaw, if the fruit turns black than it isn't ready it shouldn't really change color. When it is ready, take the tray and put it in the oven preheated to 350 for 15 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:18 pm

I've had good luck mincing fruit finely, putting it on a pie pan, and leaving it in the oven with the door cracked at 350°. I just check on it every few minutes and remove the dried bits as soon as they're not sticky anymore.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:35 am

For drying I put whatever it is on a silpat, I'm imagining other cookie sheets would work too, and pop it in the oven at lowest temp (170-175 f is ideal) and leave the oven door cracked to allow air to circulate. Start off with 30 minutes then go in intervals of 15 checking it each time the 15 minute interval is up. When it's crunchy, it's usually dry.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:46 pm

I know you asked this earlier, but you can also buy great seaweed (Kelp) at health food stores. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com