Help! New hermit crab owner- worried about crabs

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

MotleyMusicana

Re: Help! New hermit crab owner- worried about crabs

Post by MotleyMusicana » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:23 pm

didn't know that about hermit crab tunnels! thanks for correcting me. my ecuadorians left exit burrows that I could usually see but that may not be the norm
3 PP's
- Professor Pinchy
- Debauchery "Deb"
- Cake

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:55 pm

ARTURIS86 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:30 am
Thank you! That all makes me feel a little better. I'll just do what I can and hope for the best right now.
So about their exit holes.The only hole I see is the one where the big guy is. So if that is their only way to get out, then maybe that's why they aren't coming up- because he's in the way. But If they covered their hole and can find another way out, then we're good.
And ok, I will check on the substrate with a stick. And add more!
Thanks again! I'll keep everyone posted!
Yep, they covered their hole as they went down - but they will totally be able to dig another way out!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

ItsMixed

Post by ItsMixed » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:39 am

My smallest crab, Sheldon, does it every night. He goes down without a trace and comes up at night in a totally different spot to chow on some food snag a drink and retreat back underground. Lol!
Proud owner of 4 PPs:
Mantis
Longclaw
Gary
Sheldon

Willson

Post by Willson » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:05 am

I am a new hermit crab owner, and reading the post and replies is really helpful about seafood!