How do you know that the cellar dwellers are OK?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
MamaZelly

Post by MamaZelly » Mon May 05, 2008 4:38 pm

I just feel bad--the painted shell he's in is, well, painted for cryin' out loud, and it's just too small. He can't even pull his legs in, nevermind slam the door with his big claw.
ZellyBelly, Mama to Sophie & Gus (the human babies).

Topic author
MamaZelly

Shelly is in a new shell!!

Post by MamaZelly » Tue May 06, 2008 7:26 am

WooHoo!!! Shelly came up last night, and actually CHANGED SHELLS!!! I feel like a used car salesman who finally sold one to that reluctant customer...

I'm so glad he's out of that tiny orange studio apartment AND we were lucky enough to see him make the change. Boy were we on pins and needles! Sneaking silently closer to the tank, freezing like statues if he stopped moving like he may have seen us. He did a lot of farting around with that shell before he made the move. My husband was a little grossed out... I looked up at him right after the change, all excited and trying not to jump up and down, only to see him looking a little sick with his hand over his mouth :roll: :lol:

What I can't believe is how much crab was stuffed into that too-small shell. Granted, I think the shell he picked is a bit too big, but so much better than being crammed into a tiny shell.

These crabs are actually bigger than I thought they were--mediums, for sure. In the old shells, they looked like big smalls, or small mediums. I think I'm going to have to get a 20 gallon tank for these guys (awww, shucks darn it all, huh?).

Post by Guest » Tue May 06, 2008 7:53 am

That's really cool that you got to see him change shells! And definitely great that he's out of that painted shell too.

I always thought it was crazy how huge their abdomens can be too, you just don't expect it sometimes when only looking at their fronts. Too funny about your husband thinking it was disgusting, lol, it can be a little gross the first time you see it, especially if you don't really know what to expect :lol:

Topic author
MamaZelly

Post by MamaZelly » Tue May 06, 2008 8:48 am

The look on his face was priceless.

I wish I could get a few shots of these guys in their new shells. They just don't cooperate!!

Post by Guest » Tue May 06, 2008 11:24 am

nicaha wrote: It can be a little gross the first time you see it, especially if you don't really know what to expect :lol:
'a little gross...the first time you see it'

I would prefer 'a large gross....every time you see it! :pukeright:

Topic author
MamaZelly

Post by MamaZelly » Tue May 06, 2008 12:34 pm

Grammarcia wrote:
I would prefer 'a large gross....every time you see it! :pukeright:
:lol: :lol:

Post by Guest » Tue May 06, 2008 12:51 pm

Grammarcia wrote:I would prefer 'a large gross....every time you see it! :pukeright:
:lol: Too funny, Grammarcia. lol But I have to disagree from my stand point. lol ~*shrugs*~ Doesn't bother me one bit. lol Never has.

That said, this is coming from the girl that could be eating a granola bar on her way to a bio lab, stuff the uneaten half in a baggie and put it in her bag, perform dissections for 3 hours straight, and then grab the granola bar on her way out and continue eating it. Funny how never having time to eat due to class schedules made it so I can eat through anything. :lol: And that still holds true to today. lol