What are Your Crabs’ Favorite Foods?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Rgorman

Re: What are Your Crabs’ Favorite Foods?

Post by Rgorman » Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:52 am

Quinnthescrub wrote:Mine go crazy over crayfish. I live near a creek where I catch them. A small part of me dies inside when I kill them, but I think my hermies are superior to crayfish. They pick them clean. It might be because its fresh. They also like peach and coconut. Once I saw one of mine chasing another because he had a peach slice and was running away with it.
I have some box turtles that eat frozen baby mice and live earthworms. I totally get the part that dies inside of you. It especially kills me to give them the mice, even though they’re already dead.

Also, I will cut off a small piece of worm and give it to the crabs, and they love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quinnthescrub

Post by Quinnthescrub » Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:55 am

They love meat, no matter what kind. I once fed them remains of a cicada that a praying mantis half ate.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:09 pm

Rgorman wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:29 pm
One of mine steals the nuts out of the food dish and will carry it around for days nibbling on it. Image

I'm deadly allergic to tree nuts so my guys will sadly never get to try nuts! They get fed well tho, and they don't know what they are missing! 😂
I have 5 PPs in a 40 gallon breeder!
~
Want to meet the crew? [link goes here when ready]
~
KyMart

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:17 pm

Jlmills525 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:44 pm
Hands down.. HONEY
I agree, my guys go crazy from 100% raw unfiltered honey! I put a bit in there food mixes a 1-2 times a week and they go crazy! They have two main, food dishes, a smaller pink flower with the Color Me Crab food mix and a bit of honey, which I often catch Frog eating out of whole sitting inside of it, and the bigger green leaf dish with the Honey Bunny food mix which is always gone when I wake up! They eat that stuff like crazy, so it's definity a favorite! I also always have a slit dish with worm casting on one side and powdered blood meal on the other, I swear that stuff never molds! They have picked at it some, but it's always there for extra protein! I also have a cute turtle sandbox in my tank which has greensand in it, this is always in the tank for them to munch on, and they have eaten some of it! Also, has yet to mold since I set up the tank! Most of the food mixes I use are from CrabPax on Esty, and all of my dishes, and my sandbox is to! The mixes that are there favorites (which I have yet to try the ones I ordered from other shops with them yet), are from CrabPax to! I love the CrabPax Etsy shop, and my babies seem to enjoy it as well!
~
~
KyMart

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:21 pm

My guys also love munching on honey from my home garden, it's safe for them (I use not pesticides), and they love it! It's rarely offered, only as a special treat, but whenever it's offered, Bug will sit there and munch on it for a food 15 minutes!
~
~
KyMart

CrabDad

Post by CrabDad » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:30 pm

Ok How do you know what they like to eat?? I know that sounds crazy because it should be obvious... I NEVER see ours eat. We have two large to extra large crabs that we got for the kids years ago and I have been the only one to ever take care of them. Their food stays in for a two or three days and I never can tell what they have eaten if anything??? It is always fresh veggie, a meat and maybe a fruit. Cut calcium off a bird block thing... sometimes I just put different things. By the third day it is covered with that fluffy mold stuff. I know they are eating well because they have grown so much and we have had them for 3-4 years... I NEVER see them in the water ( fresh or salt) and never can see what they eat...

Topic author
Rgorman

Post by Rgorman » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:27 pm

CrabDad wrote:Ok How do you know what they like to eat?? I know that sounds crazy because it should be obvious... I NEVER see ours eat. We have two large to extra large crabs that we got for the kids years ago and I have been the only one to ever take care of them. Their food stays in for a two or three days and I never can tell what they have eaten if anything??? It is always fresh veggie, a meat and maybe a fruit. Cut calcium off a bird block thing... sometimes I just put different things. By the third day it is covered with that fluffy mold stuff. I know they are eating well because they have grown so much and we have had them for 3-4 years... I NEVER see them in the water ( fresh or salt) and never can see what they eat...
I see mine eat often. Sometimes when I put food in there and then they’ll come steal the food if they really love it. When I feed them, I’ll come back about 10-15 minutes later and stand back away from their cage to watch them eat. If the food is fragrant (or smelly), they go to the food dish rather quickly

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:42 pm

Rgorman wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:27 pm
I see mine eat often. Sometimes when I put food in there and then they’ll come steal the food if they really love it. When I feed them, I’ll come back about 10-15 minutes later and stand back away from their cage to watch them eat. If the food is fragrant (or smelly), they go to the food dish rather quickly

I have a desk chair infornt of my crab tank, I sit there at least 15 minutes every day watching them, and they have slowly gotten used to this (I have done this since I got my crabs), they don't shy away when I sit down, or move in the chair, they just sometimes watch me back. Sometimes Star (female, micro-teeny) will come up the glass and say hello to me, she's so sweet! She did this one day and just sat there for about 5 minutes, I put my hand in the tank and she ran to me, and then set on my hand for a good 10 minutes just content in my hand, silly girl just wanted to be held!
~
~
KyMart