Terrarium / Aquarium: Crabs, Fish and Anole(s), oh my!

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Mamakins

Post by Mamakins » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:49 pm

Duh.... why didn't I think of email. I did PM him but never heard back.
Laura: AKA MOM! Crabby since May 07
Mom to Evan 19, Trevor 16, Justin 14, Warren 12
Hermit crabs, created geckos, box turtle and Uromastyx.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:29 am

i did email him right after limeslide suggested it, but haven't heard back yet...if i do, i will report...

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:41 pm

So even though I have 6 pp's and they're all land crabs I can get them a swimming pool of sorts that they can totally immerse themselves in as long as they have a way to get out easily? I'm aware they breathe through gills but I thought that they only breathed the humidity in the air. Does the water have to be salt or dechlor? Is there a special amount of anything I have to keep track of, ie: levels of any sort in the water?

Mamakins

Post by Mamakins » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:15 pm

really you can make a pool out of either. I have both. I have only ever seen one crab completely submerge in the fresh water though. many times I have seen them in the salt right down on the bottom. I have to say though, that I personally have not seen the pp's right in the water. Only the straws and E's. I have fish net completely covering the ramp to each pool so they can get out easily. I'm not sure how long they can stay under water, but I know that I've seen them there long enough for me to worry, but then went I went back to check they were out.
Laura: AKA MOM! Crabby since May 07
Mom to Evan 19, Trevor 16, Justin 14, Warren 12
Hermit crabs, created geckos, box turtle and Uromastyx.

Topic author
hermie_lover3542

Post by hermie_lover3542 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:44 pm

I absolutely luv your tank!!! How much did it cost you? Any way also feed your anole crickets and moths that what i fed mine lol! My anole lived to be 9 years old, but could you give me ideas for my tank? Or even common house held items that I could use in my tank? I have a 60 gallon tank and it is relatively bare because I had mites and you know have to toss all wood items :( but anyways I love the tank!!!

Topic author
Bekka16

Post by Bekka16 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:46 pm

hermie_lover3542 wrote:I absolutely luv your tank!!! How much did it cost you? Any way also feed your anole crickets and moths that what i fed mine lol! My anole lived to be 9 years old, but could you give me ideas for my tank? Or even common house held items that I could use in my tank? I have a 60 gallon tank and it is relatively bare because I had mites and you know have to toss all wood items :( but anyways I love the tank!!!
I have bricks (the ones with the 3 holes) that lean against each other as sort of a "crab hotel". i also found some firewood (untreated and all that) that i cooked and they climb on it.
Just 2 ideas you can try.

Or you can read these tutorials for some ideas.[/code]

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:30 pm

Holy cow, I can't believe this is still here!

Just as a (late) update, the anole was doing fine last time I had him. I ended up giving away the whole setup to a family friend when I moved, and I now have a 175gal marine aquarium set up.

If anyone has any questions, you can e-mail me at necosino@yahoo.com and I'll try to answer as quickly as possible (as long as I can still remember, lol).

sage dragon

Re: Terrarium / Aquarium: Crabs, Fish and Anole(s), oh my!

Post by sage dragon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:49 pm

nice job. I would love to make my 55 into a huge crabby habitat, but my red eared slider is using it. i dont ctually own any crabbies yet, but will be setting up a ten for them, i want it to be natural looking. nice inspiration.

Nethers

Post by Nethers » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:59 pm

This is awesome, I wish I had some updated pictures even though your friend has it!
PP: King Crawl, Dirt, Karla, Styles, Marco | E: Turbo, Grouch
Supporting my Teensy Friends with Web Development | http://www.timnethers.com

ameisel

Post by ameisel » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:53 pm

I am excited to see it finished! =)
8 PPs: Claus (tiny), Mia (tiny), Gustaf (tiny), Brutus (tiny), King (small) and Turtwig (small), Willie (Jumbo), and (?)Large/Jumbo <-- I haven't named it yet

Hexiron

Post by Hexiron » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:02 am

I must see this finished project... it is a dream of mine of one day doing the same thing.