Aquarium lid and heating?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
staticfurball

Aquarium lid and heating?

Post by staticfurball » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:14 pm

Ok so I still flipping between setting up my 30 g or my 60g tanks. The only concern I have about the 60 g is that it I only have a regular aquarium lid for it and I don't think I can put a heat light in that. Is there another way I can add a heat light to the tank? Should I consider using UTH ? I assume it would take a very large one to get the temp right. It would prevent me from making a nice big background for the tank also.......any suggestions?

CallaLily

Re: Aquarium lid and heating?

Post by CallaLily » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:38 pm

Mounting the lamp so it shines in from the side may work for you.
For example:
Found here:viewtopic.php?f=26&t=92543

If not, a UTH may be the way to go. I use an Ultratherm on one of my crabitats with good results. I have it insulated and the temp is well up into the 80s in that tank right now with no other sources.

Topic author
staticfurball

Post by staticfurball » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:57 pm

ok maybe the UTH is a better idea. I assume your tank is a large one? what size UTH should be used for a 60g? can I put it on the side of the tank and expect the same results or do I need to put on the back? I would really like to make a back ground like in some of the tutorials on the DIY forum here. If I cant expect the same heat from just the side panel of the tank, maybe I could design my background to allow for a UTH on the opposite side of the tank and use smaller UTHY instead.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:03 pm

That tank is a 40B with an exo terra topper. It's usually recommended to get the largest UTH you can fit on the back of your tank - all or mostly above the substrate line. I haven't tried side mounting a UTH since I had very small crabitats so I'm not sure on that one.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:24 pm

Most likely, side mounting a UTH will result in a warm spot and then on the other side a cooler to room temperature spot in a larger tank. :) Best thing to do is the back, maybe substituting it with some heat lamps if your looking for a background. Maybe instead of doing a "rock like" wall, maybe just do a "heavy foliage" so most of the heat still gets through?
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies