Dehydrating/Making your own hermie food??

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
always_marissa

Dehydrating/Making your own hermie food??

Post by always_marissa » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:03 am

I was wondering if anyone here makes their own hermit crab food. I had purchased some dried food from an ebay seller and noticed that my guys really loved them and they disappeared in a flash. It's is also cleaner and healthier for them since the food won't grow mold before they get to it. If anyone has ventured to try this please let me know. I am going through reviews and trying to pick out the cheapest most effective dehydrator.

fantasybookworm

Re: Dehydrating/Making your own hermie food??

Post by fantasybookworm » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:34 am

There are numerous threads if you take a look! :) I've started one discussing the foods I've dehydrated in my oven. Haven't done anything for a while though, I still have some food I want to finish before I move.

Asheka

Post by Asheka » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:33 pm

I'm also doing dehydrating, but in the oven like Fantasy. You don't need to buy a dehydrator. I found instructions online, and it's very easy. I haven't done any in a while, but I have a big stock right now with possibly only one crabby up heh
4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.
Don't Hate What You Don't Understand PRIDE!
http://crabtaztic.blogspot.ca
Turning the gross and scary cute and merry at PlayfulDead Creationz

DinoJax

Post by DinoJax » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:46 pm

I do. My roommates just so happened to have two dehydraters.
20PPs, 10 snakes, 3 cats, 2 rats and a variety of bugs. <3

dinky

Post by dinky » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:38 pm

I've been dehydrating hermit crab food for 5 years. If you are looking for a dehydrator I would pay more as my cheaper ones were a pain! Most of the cheaper ones have the fan on the top and it doesn't dry through all the racks as nice as the more expensive ones with the fan in the back. I use Excalibur 9 rack, but it has more than paid for itself. Not only do I do crab foods, but the kids all like dried fruit, my dogs like it as a treat, and I do dehydrate some veggies and stuff that we use up later in the winter and enjoy. It was well worth every dime I paid for it. I believe you can get a 4 or 5 rack one that is a decent price.
Happy owner of 10 pp's, 7 E's, 2 straws, 1 ruggie, 2 viola's, 2 dogs, to many kids to count and one awesome hubby