HELP! SURFACE MOLT MISSING!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
happykittylover

HELP! SURFACE MOLT MISSING!

Post by happykittylover » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:24 am

Please respond quickly! I'm somewhat new to hermit crabs. My friend had some before and I absolutely adore them :) I have two purple pinchers, Potato and Hobostein (Pronounced Hoboshtein) Hobostein decided to jump out of his shell while I was cleaning their tank and started digging around. Potato tried to go after him so I separated them. Hobostein then proceeded to molt on the surface after trying on a new shell or two. His exoskeleton is still in the tank and last night he was in a shell with his legs sticking out. I saw his leg move so I knew it was him and not the skin. This morning I went to check to see if he ate and I saw two of his favorite shells were moved. I looked inside every shell but didn't find him! There aren't any signs of tunnels or holes anywhere in the tank :( please help! Is he just really deep in the shell? I really don't want to hurt him if he's buried and I don't know it.

My tank has a hood with a latch. They've both climbed up but could not get out.

Topic author
happykittylover

Re: HELP! SURFACE MOLT MISSING!

Post by happykittylover » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:26 am

I forgot to mention, I did not do anything with Hobostein and moved Potato. I didn't want to mess with a molting crab :)

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:59 am

So he is isolated? He may be really far back in a shell. Leave his exo there for him, he'll need to eat it. The most important thing now is to leave him alone. He'll do the rest. Good luck!

Topic author
happykittylover

Post by happykittylover » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:29 am

He is isolated :) I appreciate your help CallaLily. Like I said, I would not want to mess around with ammolting crab ;) I will check again later today to see if he popped out or ate his carrots. I will be sure to leave his exoskeleton in there as well.

Acceb_becca

Post by Acceb_becca » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:49 am

When my crab pulled a surface molt I didn't realize since I was asleep but I thought one of my other crabs ate him since he wasn't iso'd but turns out he was way far back in his shell! He went from the size of a quarter to about a penny or dime! I'm sure he'll be fine if he's iso'd! Best of luck! Keep us up updated! Btw. you may want to feed him some Calcium rich foods like cuttle bone or egg shell to help him regrow his exo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:59 am

Really, I promise, all he needs as far as food goes is his exo. ;) It doesn't hurt to place other foods nearby but it isn't necessary if his exo is still available. With a normal molt, they're underground and don't resurface to eat or drink anything else. ;)

Topic author
happykittylover

Post by happykittylover » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:03 pm

He loves carrots! I put some fresh slices for him to eat if he feels like it and his exoskeleton is still in with him (I did research during his molt to make sure all goes well). He is in the main tank and Potato is moved. When would be a good time to put him back in the main tank with Hobostein? (I had to move Potato because Hobostein started molting in the main tank) I'm so glad I finally found a good forum :) I just joined this morning and already I'm getting help!

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:11 pm

Wait until Hobostein has finished eating his exo and is climbing and eating normally. When he's ready, give them both a dunk in the freshwater pool to make sure any lingering molt smell is gone (since it's a surface molt) and so they both smell more familiar to the other.

Topic author
happykittylover

Post by happykittylover » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:15 pm

Okay :) How long does it usually take?

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:11 pm

Well in a normal molt a crab can spend weeks underground eating their exo and recovering. I don't have a lot of experience with surface molts, but from what I've read they recover a little faster since they're so vulnerable. But give him plenty of time. Let him eat through all or most of his exo and wait for him to be climbing all over and eating and drinking regularly. That way you're sure he's good to go.

Topic author
happykittylover

Post by happykittylover » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:13 pm

Okay :D thanks again for all the help! I will update if anything happens!

Topic author
happykittylover

Post by happykittylover » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:25 am

Okay, Hobostein has choosen a nice shell and his exoskeleton is completely gone except for the large claw and a couple tiny shreds. He was definitely moving around and eating because the exo is gone and he is now in a different spot of the tank. I also saw a part of his leg and it was a nice shade of red. Would Potato be eligible for going back in the main tank now kr should I still wait? (Hobostein isn't all over the place but he has been moving around.)

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:12 pm

I personally would give him more time. When exactly did he pull the surface molt? Let him eat and drink and shell shop while he finishes recovering. You don't want to rush him along. Adding him back with the other crabs too soon could be disastrous.

Topic author
happykittylover

Post by happykittylover » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:23 pm

It was Friday morning when he molted. Do you have a recommended time for adding Potato back in? I only had a gallon beta tank for back up at the moment :( my iso tank broke. I don't want to rush him but at the same time I don't feel a gallon tank is a great size for a hermit crab so I want to add him back in as soon as possible. He has choosen a shell now but likes to stay in it at the moment so I'm not really sure if I should bathe them because it would probably scare the poor thing to death (literally) (Don't worry, I am getting a new iso tank soon so they won't be stuck in such a tiny tank. I feel awful but it was an emergency)

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:33 pm

If he's spending a lot of time pulled up into his shell, I would say he isn't ready to go back with other crabs. It's usually recommended to wait until they've eaten their exo, are active, and eating/drinking normally. I don't feel two days is enough time. I've seen/heard of these things being rushed before with heartbreaking results. Personally I'd give it at least a week. Someone with more surface molting experience may come on with a different approach. But when you do introduce him to the other crabs it's important you give him a dip in the freshwater pool first to wash off any lingering molting smell - which smells yummy to other crabs. With a normal molt, this smell would be naturally cleared off by time spent underground plus the act of digging up to the surface. A few more days in ISO getting his fill of food, water, and shells won't hurt. But rushing him back into the main tank might.