How to clean the Sand?

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Topic author
CrabbyMom13

How to clean the Sand?

Post by CrabbyMom13 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:49 pm

Hi,I am researching owning hermit crabs before purchasing some as new pets for the family. If I use sand as the substrate, how do you clean the tank? The person in the pet store was suggesting different substrates that they sell but I gather from my research that Sand is best for them. Any suggestions/information on this topic? Do you clean the sand in some way or swap it out or...?Thanks

jgfceit

How to clean the Sand?

Post by jgfceit » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:55 am

Welcome!Sand does seem to be the best substrate to use. A lot of people here get play sand from Home Depot, and mix it with Eco Earth. I personally use mason sand, which is pretty much the same but cheaper (50 lbs for $3), and I don't use the Eco Earth, but you could try!The sand they try and sell you at the pet store is NOT good for them. Don't get it!To clean it, I suggest putting it in a foil tray and baking it at 350 degrees F for about half an hour. Then you hose out the tank, wait for the sand to cool off, and put it back in.3 inches is the minimum amount of substrate, but the rule of thumb is that there should be enough to cover your tallest crab twice. And one more thing: a 10 gallon tank is also the minimum size, and it can house usually three medium size crabs.Hope this helps!
My Website (Check it out!):
My Point(s) Of View
Three PP's: Sporta and Curiosity

Shelbykay246

How to clean the Sand?

Post by Shelbykay246 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:23 am

You can also mix sand and eco earth together, my crabs love that!
~Shelby

Topic author
CrabbyMom13

How to clean the Sand?

Post by CrabbyMom13 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:30 am

I'm also looking for a good place to purchase the crabs in the Brampton/Toronto area of Ontario. After reading a past post about petSmart and visiting a PetSmart yesterday, I'm not sure that is the best place to get healthy happy crabs.

jgfceit

How to clean the Sand?

Post by jgfceit » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:51 am

Petco has decent crabs, and you could always try Craigslist...
My Website (Check it out!):
My Point(s) Of View
Three PP's: Sporta and Curiosity

Crabber85

How to clean the Sand?

Post by Crabber85 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:43 am

You can easily clean sand by sifting out the large stuff like fecal material and food then you can bake the sand to sterilize it like JG said.Your substrate depth should be a minimum of six inches to allow for enough overhead space for molt pockets and tunneling.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Herman Coen

How to clean the Sand?

Post by Herman Coen » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:00 am

I have had good results adopting crabs from posts on Craigs List, but Petco, not always so good. Often people who post CL want to see their crabs go to a good place, and have taken reasonably good care of them. They are much less stressed. But at Petco, they are always stressed and ready to molt. Good luck CrabbyMom13.

Laurie LeAnn

How to clean the Sand?

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:45 pm

I have never had to clean sand before putting it my tank. I get play sand from lowes or farm king it says play sand only on the bag and I get it indoors, not out side. Make sure the bag is not wet or damp to. When you open it if it smells like oil don't use it. Don't try to sterilize it. Throw it out or take if back. I have done it all. Just sand, just eco and mixed. My crabs really don't care a song as the temp and humidity is up.

jenok

How to clean the Sand?

Post by jenok » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:23 am

As far as first getting sand to put in like laurie said you shouldn't have to bake it I just put mine straight in after making sure there isn't any residue or odd smell. Some people do rinse it to get any fine particles or dust out. Just make sure you add enough dechlorinated/treated water to make the sand stick together like you would make a sandcastle with, but you don't want it to be soggy over wet. 6inches is the suggested minimum depth for the substrate you choose.Routine cleaning is easier if you just skim off the fecal matter and uneaten food every few days. Then 6 months to a year do a deep clean meaning take everything out of your tank. If an item is in bad shape take it out and replace it. Make sure you boil or bake everything to sterilize it such as shells, dishes, fake plants, houses ect.....And now to the used sand. Most of us dump the majority of the old sand keeping about a fourth of it to keep the good bacteria in the tank and prevent sterilization shock. Just get another bag of sand and mix the new and old together keeping everything moist.Just make sure you don't have any crabs that have buried down when you change your sand out. And if you decide to use eco earth or a mix with it use salt water to help prevent the molding of the coco fiber.Hope this was a little more explanatory and helps.

Shelbykay246

How to clean the Sand?

Post by Shelbykay246 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:31 am

I've had a pretty good time with petco, three of my hermit crabs I got there a year ago and still have them! They've even molted. Good luck to you.
~Shelby

Tongue Flicker

How to clean the Sand?

Post by Tongue Flicker » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:41 pm

The only problem with plain sand is that it smells weird when wet and dries up quite hard endangering molting hermits. Also clumps together when wet. Waste are also quite visible and needs constant removal to avoid mites and ants. Sand also doesn't hold humidity well. Mixing it with pesticide-free garden soil or coco fiber usually solves sand disadvantages.
Neil
" With great power comes great electricity bill... "

Crabber85

How to clean the Sand?

Post by Crabber85 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:36 am

@Tongue Flicker, unless your play sand is right against the glass where the heat pads are it should never get hard/bricked.We all use play sand and I myself use it as my exclusive substrate and have had no problems with it drying out, it has never attracted any pests and has never had any kind of smell.If your using a good humidity retaining lid then your substrate be it play sand or eco earth should never become completely dry so if your having issues with your substrate drying out quickly then you may want to invest in a better lid or if your not using a lid you might want to use one and see if that stops the problem.It's actually food that has been buried or covered over that attracts the pests, encourages mold growth and causes the smell. I have to caution against using potting soil, top soil or any kind of gardening soil as 99% contain metal shavings, fertilizers and other chemical additives to promote plant growth which makes these soils highly toxic for hermitcrabs to live on, in or around.Regular play sand and Eco Earth are the only two kinds of substrate that are proven safe and effective for hermitcrabs.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Tetra4CClyPtus

How to clean the Sand?

Post by Tetra4CClyPtus » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:34 am

quote:Originally posted by CrabbyMom13:Hi,I am researching owning hermit crabs before purchasing some as new pets for the family. If I use sand as the substrate, how do you clean the tank? The person in the pet store was suggesting different substrates that they sell but I gather from my research that Sand is best for them. Any suggestions/information on this topic? Do you clean the sand in some way or swap it out or...?Thanks I use a mixture of quickrite playsand ( in your local hardware store) and Eco earth. 5 parts playsand and 1 part Eco earth .5:1 ratio. Another option You can sterilize substrate by baking in the oven. Vinegar and water is a good cleaner for the glass