Ecuadorian Molt

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
morganmilazzo

Ecuadorian Molt

Post by morganmilazzo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:43 pm

So I have a thick layer of moss above the Eco earth in my 40 gallon breeder, which house 8 micro to medium crabs with the exception of one who falls between large and xtra large (he wan an anniversary gift). Anywho, one of my Ecuadorians, Mr. Peaches, has kinda surface molted? So it's on the surface of the eco earth but under the thick layer of moss. Typically, I have smooth molts, I've had 6 smooth ones actually. But I've had back to back to back molts. Last week two molts went wrong. One I didn't know was molting and I guess she just didn't prevail and the other I had put in an Iso after accidentally walking in on him doing his thing. I feel I'm responsible for his death because I added stress to the process (for the record though, this guy was a mystery. I had him five months and saw him above the surface maybe five times) So my dilemma being should I Iso Peaches? I heard somewhere Eccies have a harder time molting but I can't remember at all where I saw it? I'm worried my biggest boy will come up from under ground and eat his squishy little brother. I just am hesitant after the last time I tried to iso went a bit wrong. That was my first molt death.

Topic author
morganmilazzo

Re: Ecuadorian Molt

Post by morganmilazzo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:12 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Seven inches, eco earth and play sand moc

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Temperature stays 75-80 Humidity-80%, occasionally 85% gauges are located in back right part of tank

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
I have an UTH heater on the back side of my tank, I plan to add another on the right side as well

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh and salt water are available. I have a large pool that is approx between 4-5 inches deep and is filled with saltwater then I have a smaller pool 3 inches? of freshwater. I'm sorry but I have no idea what my dechlorinator brand or salt mix is. My stepfather is an aquarium nut so he kinda just hooked me up.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Wow, well this list could go on forever. I feed a variety. I try to switch from protein to vegetation every other day.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
Hmmm...I'm not very sure how long I've had Mr. Peaches? No more than two or three months though. He's an Ecuadorian so he's always been one of my more lively hermits.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
This is his first molt with me. I noticed today when cleaning the tank

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
Crabs are in 40 gallon breeder with a screen lid *dies inside* that lid will be the death of me

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
8 crabs. 5 Purple Pinchers with the biggest being a micro and largest being a bit I between medium and large. 3 Ecuadorians. Two are small, one is medium

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
At least five of each size are kept in the tank at a time but I do cycle out unpopular ones so about 25 shells at any given time

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Every day I do food patrol and clean any leftovers and every week or two I clean decorations with warm water, just to get any poops off of them

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No sponges but I do have a piece of grape wood? I can't think of the name that makes a perfect ladder in and out of the pools for the hermits.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
Peaches is a good boy, loves his protein and is the liveliest crab I have. I would hate to jeopardize his sanity and stress level by messing anything up

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

Topic author
morganmilazzo

Post by morganmilazzo » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:17 pm

It's been a bit over a month and the same crab has just molted again which is quite confusing. He's a bigger guy. This time he is naked and dropped his big pincher and two other legs. I'm so confused on why he is molting so frequently. There was minimal signs of exo but dropped limbs were squishy as well as the limbs still connected to him. After 45 minutes of watching him struggle to find a shell and then just running away, I tapped his fat butt into a shell that seemed to suit him. His spunky demeanor from when I first discovered his naked body has changed to sluggish. He has been moved to Iso and while it doesn't look too great, fingers are crossed. Love this little guy.
Last edited by morganmilazzo on Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angizme

Post by Angizme » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:18 pm

morganmilazzo wrote:It hasn't even been a month and the same crab has just molted again which is quite confusing. He's a bigger guy. This time he is naked and dropped his big puncher and two other legs. I'm so confused on why he is molting so frequently. There was minimal signs of exo but dropped limbs were squishy as well as the limbs still connected to him. After 45 minutes of watching him struggle to find a shell and then just running away, I tapped his fat butt into a shell that seemed to suit him. His spunky demeanor from when I first discovered his naked body has changed to sluggish. He has been moved to Iso and while it doesn't look too great, fingers are crossed. Love this little guy.
Sometimes crabs will do a back to back molt. ISO them sometimes stresses them out more, i have rescued almost 100 Es in september. And if you can put a 2litre vottle over him cut in half with some honey and make sure the others in the habitat have plenty of raw honey, chia, mealworms, etc, but i think that it should be ok

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:58 am

Since the first molt you posted about here was his first with you, it's sounding to me like he's having trouble recovering from his journey from the wild to you. Whether he was injured badly, starved, or exposed to extreme temps - we won't know but it is a rough journey for them and many do not pull through. Check out the PPS article in the caresheet section. Definitely isolate him from the others, whether within the main tank or in an ISO tank. That little bit of stress from ISO is necessary. It gives him a chance to recover without competition or attack. Reshelling him was the right call too. In ISO, keep conditions right, provide both types of water and high energy foods (honey, sweet fruits, bee pollen, pb, etc) plus protein and calcium sources. Also a hide and extra shells. Try to let him be as much as possible. I hope he pulls through.

Also, and I think you are already aware but just in case, your temps are a bit low for Es. They need 80-90F. I would also ask for the specifics on the dechlor and salt mix. :)