How long will a small hermit take

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
charbeenie

How long will a small hermit take

Post by charbeenie » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:14 pm

My small PP has dug down (very glad) when I brought her home she was missing parts to almost all her walking legs ( thats why I brought her home). How long does a small hermit stay down? She was swimming in the fresh water a LOT when I brought her home and she changed shells with in the 1st 24 and has been eating good. I got her on Valentines day.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

CallaLily

Re: How long will a small hermit take

Post by CallaLily » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:05 am

There's a chart here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=92527, though it can really vary depending not only on size and condition but the crab itself.

Topic author
charbeenie

Post by charbeenie » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:25 pm

CallaLily wrote:There's a chart here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=92527, though it can really vary depending not only on size and condition but the crab itself.
Thank you

theornerycheese

Post by theornerycheese » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:07 pm

All 4 of my small Ruggies molted for about 1-2 months, came up for a few days and ate, then dug down again for another 2 months. 1 of them came up last month and another came up a few days ago so don't freak out if they take longer than "normal". They all looked relatively healthy too when I purchased them.

Topic author
charbeenie

Post by charbeenie » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:44 pm

theornerycheese wrote:All 4 of my small Ruggies molted for about 1-2 months, came up for a few days and ate, then dug down again for another 2 months. 1 of them came up last month and another came up a few days ago so don't freak out if they take longer than "normal". They all looked relatively healthy too when I purchased them.
Thank you! I keep looking for her lol nervous mommy here lol. Thank you for sharing your experience! I keep putting lots of stuff for them to eat in case she comes up to snack!

theornerycheese

Post by theornerycheese » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:24 pm

charbeenie wrote:
theornerycheese wrote:All 4 of my small Ruggies molted for about 1-2 months, came up for a few days and ate, then dug down again for another 2 months. 1 of them came up last month and another came up a few days ago so don't freak out if they take longer than "normal". They all looked relatively healthy too when I purchased them.
Thank you! I keep looking for her lol nervous mommy here lol. Thank you for sharing your experience! I keep putting lots of stuff for them to eat in case she comes up to snack!

Yeah I was starting to worry too because all 4 of them went to molt at the same time. After their first molt, they were all up within a day of each other. Then for this second molt only one emerged until my other guy came up this week. My medium sized PPs were digging around near where the Ruggies dug down so I was worried maybe one of them came upon them. Now while it's a possibility the other two may have been disturbed by the PPs, I'm not as worried now. :3

Topic author
charbeenie

Post by charbeenie » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:35 pm

theornerycheese wrote:
charbeenie wrote:

Yeah I was starting to worry too because all 4 of them went to molt at the same time. After their first molt, they were all up within a day of each other. Then for this second molt only one emerged until my other guy came up this week. My medium sized PPs were digging around near where the Ruggies dug down so I was worried maybe one of them came upon them. Now while it's a possibility the other two may have been disturbed by the PPs, I'm not as worried now. :3
This morning my 2 Es dug down. Now I have just my big PP up and he has a lot of hair on his legs so I dont think he will be going down any time soon.