Crab Loves the Shell Shop

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
DaltMc

Crab Loves the Shell Shop

Post by DaltMc » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:01 pm

Despite my worries all 6 of my new PPs who went down to molt at the same time have all came up and are alive and healthy. The first stop every one of them made was the new and improved shell shop! It's bigger and offers more shells than before they all went to molt. Now I have one small crab in particular who loves the shell shop. Where others find entertainment in digging through the moss pits and eco earth. This one little crabby finds the most fun in burrying himself deep into the shop amongst all the other shells. Does anyone else have a crab or crabs that prefer to hang out in the shell shop. Is this a negative behavior that I'm unaware of ?(not offering enough shells of his size?) I'm not worried about him as he seems to be distressed and enjoying himself, should I be? As I know we all love pictures I have included a few, sorry if the quality isn't the best. See if you can spot him!

Image[/url]

Tala

Re: Crab Loves the Shell Shop

Post by Tala » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:33 pm

As soon as I put in a "proper" shell shop (as opposed to just scattering them around the tank) one of my crabs started spending most of the day mixed in with the empty shells, haha. I've read on here that others have seen their crabs do the same. I'd say it's nothing to worry about.
9 PPs (Sandy, Shelly, Franklin, Max Jr., Gusgus, Digdug, Steve, General Crabbington, & Ol' Lady Crabbington)
4 kitties & 2 pups! :)

charbeenie

Post by charbeenie » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:39 pm

I had to take out my shell shop! Mine would crawl around in it but would change shells. As soon as I put them on the floor 2 of them changed shells. I think its was because they moved them around a lot and couldn't do it in the shell shop. I am thinking of getting a bigger basket and not putting a lot of shells in it to see if they will like that.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Topic author
DaltMc

Post by DaltMc » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:36 pm

charbeenie wrote:I had to take out my shell shop! Mine would crawl around in it but would change shells. As soon as I put them on the floor 2 of them changed shells. I think its was because they moved them around a lot and couldn't do it in the shell shop. I am thinking of getting a bigger basket and not putting a lot of shells in it to see if they will like that.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I have thought the same thing, that maybe having too many shells in there can inhibit their ability to move around the larger shells and efficiently "shop." So far I haven't had any issues with the smaller guys finding shells, but have been concidering making a second pit for big shells.