New to hermit crabs: cage question

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
TinkJCF90

New to hermit crabs: cage question

Post by TinkJCF90 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:35 am

I just got my first hermit crab. I got the All Living Things cage that looks like a hamster cage but wasn't sure if it's ok to use. Anyone else have one?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: New to hermit crabs: cage question

Post by wodesorel » Mon May 22, 2017 11:47 am

Unfortunately the wire type cages do not work for hermit crabs. :( They need a very high humidity in order to breathe with their modified gills, and they also need a very deep moist substrate to bury underground and molt (at least 6 inches, more if the crab is big) - the hamster type cages can't provide either of these!

And example of what they need would be this:

So a regular aquarium with a lid that is either solid or that can be covered in plastic is really ideal for them. The size of aquarium would depend on the size of the hermit crab. Quarter sized crabs can be happy in a 10 gallon for a few years, larger crabs than that need more space, and the really big guys should be in a 40 gallon or bigger. And they grow! So keep that in mind when choosing something. You are NOT limited to what the petstores have either! Secondhand tanks are easy to find and are really cheap by comparison.

If you're just starting out, please check out our care guide. It'll give you an idea of what they really require, as opposed to what the pet store may try to sell you. It'll save you a lot of headache and hopefully money as well! http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 51&t=92457
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Mon May 22, 2017 12:41 pm

Pet stores provide all false info- leading to your crabby friend dying within a few months of purchase, I have had over 20 crabs coming up on 3 years now, and have not had one death. Look on Craigslist for tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daws409

Post by daws409 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:24 pm

Welcome to HCA! Looks like they have the bases covered. You can also look on LetGo and OfferUp for tanks. Search reptile, aquarium, tank, etc... If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. We're all here to help ;)

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
TinkJCF90

Post by TinkJCF90 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:13 pm

I actually happen to have a Aquarium tank that's a 20 gallon. It's an old tank I used some years ago for a fish. I thought about buying this kit that's on sale though that I saw that includes a tank and take it back. Just because it would fit better in my room.

Topic author
TinkJCF90

Post by TinkJCF90 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:14 pm

*take the hamster cage one back

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon May 22, 2017 3:20 pm

The hermit crab kits are generally poorly put together. The substrate will be calcisand which is dangerous to use, the heating is usually extremely inadequate, and the water dishes will be way too shallow. You can usually buy everything that is correct separately and have it come out to less than the kits.

Topic author
TinkJCF90

Post by TinkJCF90 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:27 pm

Is there a certain brand of sand you would suggest?

daws409

Post by daws409 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:35 pm

Any playsand will do... Not calcium sand

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
TinkJCF90

Post by TinkJCF90 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:43 pm

Now I live on the east coast by the ocean and the house and room I stay in is usually kept between 70-75 degrees. I got a thermometer strip and placed inside the cage and it's reads 75. I worry about if I change him to a terrarium, is there such thing as being too hot.

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Mon May 22, 2017 3:55 pm

Playsand or Qwikrete from your local hardware store. Try and get clean dry sand, with no inclusions. A lot of us use a 5:1 mix of playsand/eco-earth (Eco-Earth is ground coconut fiber) moistened to sandcastle consistency with marine saltwater (Instant Ocean is a good marine salt, mix according to package directions, (and dechlorinate with Prime or a similar product), but there are a few others - check out the food & water forum http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... m.php?f=25 ).

Hermit crabs like 80-85F (for purple pinchers). Some exotics like it a bit hotter, but 80F is a good starting place. 80% Relative humidity is the minimum. Check out the heating and substrate pinned threads for more info.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... m.php?f=26

Also the crab care sheets

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... m.php?f=51

Welcome to HCA!
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Mon May 22, 2017 4:00 pm

There is such a thing as being too hot. I think it's over 86F or so, but I'll let others weigh in. I use a ZIlla thermostat to control an Ultratherm under-tank heater (the UTH is mounted to the back (NOT the bottom) of my tank ABOVE the level of the substrate so that it heats the air in the tank), and my thermostat keeps it right at 81-83F. Some folks don't need to use a thermostat, but I like the peace of mind.

A lot of folks find heat lamps and such zap their humidity and tend to melt things and then there's the fire risk... with a UTH you have a lot of lighting options, and it's not married to keeping your crabs warm. But some folks are perfectly happy with heat lamps.

If you do get an under-tank heater, all brands are different. There are significant advantages to the Ultratherms. If you search this site, you'll see threads talking about this.
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon May 22, 2017 4:23 pm

Hermias_mom wrote:There is such a thing as being too hot. I think it's over 86F or so, but I'll let others weigh in.
I wouldn't recommend temps over 90 for prolonged periods. My hermits seem quite happy when it's 95 during the day in the summer with a good natural cool off overnight, but it's that drop that keeps them comfortable.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon May 22, 2017 7:23 pm

Welcome to the HCA :butterfly:: I highly recommend taking the time to read the care guide that Hermies_mom posted above.

There is a lot of wonderful information here at the HCA - and we are all happy to help :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com