My Crabbies Aren't Eatting

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Marie_in_Oz

My Crabbies Aren't Eatting

Post by Marie_in_Oz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:15 pm

My crabs seem to be eating very little or nothing at all. I have had a good mix of things in there (I feel) and doesn't seem to be ending up empty at the end of the night. :-(
I have had them for a week now and I'm getting worried.
I've tried:
Baby foods
Different lettuces
Papaya
Coconut
Algae tablets
Fish food flakes
Celery leaves
Apples
Dried fruits
Chopped veggies
Etc. one has decided to bury, so I'll leave him and one isn't interested in the food. HELP!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My Crabbies Aren't Eatting

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:19 pm

They eat in very small proportions. So they most likely are eating you just dont notice. Try feeding them a bit more protein, crabs enjoy the meaty things a bit more.
(Are you sure the fish food is safe? Often they contain a lot of fillers and preservatives)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Marie_in_Oz

Post by Marie_in_Oz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:45 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:They eat in very small proportions. So they most likely are eating you just dont notice. Try feeding them a bit more protein, crabs enjoy the meaty things a bit more.
(Are you sure the fish food is safe? Often they contain a lot of fillers and preservatives)

Ok. I'll stop flakes. Do they eat raw or cooked meat? Like chicken and beef and fish??

Topic author
Marie_in_Oz

Post by Marie_in_Oz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:50 pm

Marie_in_Oz wrote:
aussieJJDude wrote:They eat in very small proportions. So they most likely are eating you just dont notice. Try feeding them a bit more protein, crabs enjoy the meaty things a bit more.

Ok. I'll stop flakes. Do they eat raw or cooked meat? Like chicken and beef and fish??

Are eggs ok?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:51 pm

I prefer cooked as it reduces salmonella (but raw feeding is also fine to them, judt remove in a timely manner as ut goes off very quickly and reeks). And yeah, any meat will do.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:52 pm

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=92557
^^^^ this may help

Clelad

Post by Clelad » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:10 am

I'm new, 3 months into crabbies and I thought mine were not eating either, so now I take a picture each night when I put the new food in. I was amazed at all the tiny little nibbles that they ate! (When I actually witnessed them eating, it was well after midnight.).......patience my friend.
:banana:

Topic author
Marie_in_Oz

Post by Marie_in_Oz » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:09 am

Clelad wrote:I'm new, 3 months into crabbies and I thought mine were not eating either, so now I take a picture each night when I put the new food in. I was amazed at all the tiny little nibbles that they ate! (When I actually witnessed them eating, it was well after midnight.).......patience my friend.
:banana:
Thank you!!! Good to know!!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:38 pm

Just remember that they are scavengers :) They eat substrate, wood you put in the tank, shells, etc! Please know that they are eating!! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com