new tank

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
hayhay528

new tank

Post by hayhay528 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:22 pm

I finally got to set up the new tank!!! its been a few week process because after pruchasing it at the thrift store i realized i didnt have anything big or strong enough to put it on. so i bought a dresser that i eventually found in good condition at the thrift store and painted it, waited for it to dry, and had to get everything perfect before the kids moved in. they were so energenic when they first went in and for about a whole day after that. i built them a few new structures, purchased a new hiding place, new bigger pool, and a wheel. Image

the wheel i built them out a an old coaster basket

Topic author
hayhay528

Re: new tank

Post by hayhay528 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:24 pm

they dont really understand to climb on the inside of the wheel and sometimes two will climb it and teter totter eachother. i havent seen them use their salt water(the larger pool) but a few went into the fresh water. they dont seem to see the craft mesh ramps i used so im thinking of trying some colored kind

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:58 pm

It takes a while before they will take to the canvas. I wouldn't worry too much.

What i would suggest is to increase entry and exit points in the sw pool and potentially make a little platform so they can rest at the edge and drink water.
But in saying it all the setup looks amazing!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

daws409

Post by daws409 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:58 pm

Cool looking hamster wheel! I agree with more access points. Maybe some vines or fish net. You can use command strips to hook them onto tat or the pools themselves.... Or maybe add a bonsai cave to this end. If it's tall enough they can 'sit' at the top of tree and drink from edge of pool :)

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:37 am

Wow - did you make your own hamster wheel? Very cool!

As far as the deep saltwater pool - I found that my crabs freaked out in it because they could only get in and out of it from two sides. Since I put other saltwater pool back in that they still can fully submerge in, they feel more confident and use it more often. To each's own really. :)

As far as the craft mesh, I think if maybe it wasn't so long and flimsy, that might make them feel more comfortable.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:35 pm

Instead of or in addition to the craft mesh ramps, try using sticks (with no pesticides of course). Slightly larger around than a pencil, sturdy, long enough to reach top to bottom from the sub to the upper rim of your large pool. Make sure the sticks are secured at the top, maybe zip tied to the craft mesh or the pool itself. The bottom ends of the sticks can be resting in/on the substrate. My crabs love to climb up to a repti-hammock at the top of my 29 gallon on sticks that are nearly vertical. I'm not saying put the sticks in the water pools. The sticks might be a fun long sturdy ramp for them to climb up to get to the pools. Then they could enter the water on the craft mesh.

I cut an alternating pattern of small holes in my craft mesh so my crabs could use their big and small pincers to climb up the middle of the craft mesh. I had a vertical craft mesh entrance to my water pools at one time, with those small footholds/holes in it. They climbed it great.
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:30 pm

Fun set up and I am totally digging the DIY hamster wheel!! Great multi levels too:) I agree with those above that adding a few more access points to the pools may help and some good wood they can climb and munch on. Great work! And awesome thrift store find dresser!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Artistmom81

Post by Artistmom81 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:10 am

Really cool!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Mom to 2 girls, 2 boys, 1 chihuahua (Zoey), 1 cat (Sid), 2 bettas (Blu & Stitch), and 5 hermies (4 PP and an Eccie); Big Boy/Grumps (or whatever his mood is) Ralph, Faith, Munchkin & Spidey.
Little Dora(PP hermie) passed on 7/7/2017

Artistmom81

Post by Artistmom81 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:42 pm

I was also going to ask you how they liked the bubble pool? I'm adding one and trying to get ideas on what to use. I have a ecoearth/sand side and a "beach, shell shop, eating side. I may replace the small freshwater dish with a larger container for the pool.
Mom to 2 girls, 2 boys, 1 chihuahua (Zoey), 1 cat (Sid), 2 bettas (Blu & Stitch), and 5 hermies (4 PP and an Eccie); Big Boy/Grumps (or whatever his mood is) Ralph, Faith, Munchkin & Spidey.

Topic author
hayhay528

Post by hayhay528 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:06 pm

Artistmom81 wrote:I was also going to ask you how they liked the bubble pool? I'm adding one and trying to get ideas on what to use. I have a ecoearth/sand side and a "beach, shell shop, eating side. I may replace the small freshwater dish with a larger container for the pool.

I'm still making adjustments on the salt water pool because i don't see them in it as often as i want. i have 6 crabs, 5 pps and 1 e. i have only ever seen the pps on the ramp or rim of the pool, not fully immersed. our ecuadorian Rick is in it a lot because he likes to climb the bubbler tube and try (sometimes he succeeds) to escape, and falls back in. i think the key is having a lot of access points like different ways to climb up and places to sit on the rim. i also noticed they like it more since i added some craft mesh on part of the top so they can hang out up there, get a mist from the bubbles and dip their toes in if they want, haha.

Artistmom81

Post by Artistmom81 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:01 am

hayhay528 wrote:
Artistmom81 wrote:I was also going to ask you how they liked the bubble pool? I'm adding one and trying to get ideas on what to use. I have a ecoearth/sand side and a "beach, shell shop, eating side. I may replace the small freshwater dish with a larger container for the pool.

I'm still making adjustments on the salt water pool because i don't see them in it as often as i want. i have 6 crabs, 5 pps and 1 e. i have only ever seen the pps on the ramp or rim of the pool, not fully immersed. our ecuadorian Rick is in it a lot because he likes to climb the bubbler tube and try (sometimes he succeeds) to escape, and falls back in. i think the key is having a lot of access points like different ways to climb up and places to sit on the rim. i also noticed they like it more since i added some craft mesh on part of the top so they can hang out up there, get a mist from the bubbles and dip their toes in if they want, haha.
That's a really good idea! I've seen mine do something of the sort. Just walk over and stick their "toe" in. I know they're using both pools. Because they drag the ecoearth in them! I have a air stone in the saltwater pool that I prepared with Instant Ocean. I've noticed since I started used the heat pad on the (back) side, my female goes near the back a lot. I didn't have it properly positioned. This keeps the tank much warmer for them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk