Tank cleaning Qurestion

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
AndyCrabby

Tank cleaning Qurestion

Post by AndyCrabby » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:50 pm

How do I clean my tank if some of my crabs are always under? I have a few crabs who much prefer to be underground even though they aren't molting. I see them at night at like 1 am when I can't fall asleep so I know they aren't molting but in the morning I rarely catch them out, even in the hiding spots? How do I clean the substrafe I don't want to disturb them

C_fiesta

Re: Tank cleaning Qurestion

Post by C_fiesta » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:33 pm

They are nocturnal, so it's natural to only see them at night. You don't need to do a "deep clean" (removing/replacing the substrate) unless you're seeing high levels of bacteria in the substrate. Just pick up the left over foods the next day and clean and change the water dishes periodically. You might also rinse out any extra shells if they become full of substrate. If you carefully smooth the top surface of sand, you'll be able to see if your guys are coming up during the night. :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:34 pm

AndyCrabby wrote:How do I clean my tank if some of my crabs are always under? I have a few crabs who much prefer to be underground even though they aren't molting. I see them at night at like 1 am when I can't fall asleep so I know they aren't molting but in the morning I rarely catch them out, even in the hiding spots? How do I clean the substrafe I don't want to disturb them
You definitely don't want to dig up any crab underneath the surface, regardless if you don't think they are actually molting. That would be extremely stressful for them.

Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:01 pm

Hello! You want to be really careful not to push down on the sand so that you don't collapse any tunnels or caves that they have dug.

Have you ever considered Isopods? They are wonderful little creatures/bugs that are a great cleaning crew! They eat crab poo, and food as well. Www.isopodconnection.tictail.com Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
AndyCrabby

Post by AndyCrabby » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:10 pm

C_fiesta wrote:They are nocturnal, so it's natural to only see them at night. You don't need to do a "deep clean" (removing/replacing the substrate) unless you're seeing high levels of bacteria in the substrate. Just pick up the left over foods the next day and clean and change the water dishes periodically. You might also rinse out any extra shells if they become full of substrate. If you carefully smooth the top surface of sand, you'll be able to see if your guys are coming up during the night. :)

Thank you! I do that sort mini of every 2 weeks where I see poop and just scoop and replace substrate but I thought deep cleans were necessary lol. Also I love cleaning shells it's so cute to see them "rediscover" them!

Topic author
AndyCrabby

Post by AndyCrabby » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:13 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Hello! You want to be really careful not to push down on the sand so that you don't collapse any tunnels or caves that they have dug.

Have you ever considered Isopods? They are wonderful little creatures/bugs that are a great cleaning crew! They eat crab poo, and food as well. http://Www.isopodconnection.tictail.com Image

I have considered isopods but im unsure how my mom will react lol. She already thinks the hermit crabs look like spiders and sorta cringed every time she looks at them lol. But I'll definitely look into it. My crabs get their poop on the walls sometimes so it might be time for a clean up crew

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:50 pm

AndyCrabby wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:Hello! You want to be really careful not to push down on the sand so that you don't collapse any tunnels or caves that they have dug.

Have you ever considered Isopods? They are wonderful little creatures/bugs that are a great cleaning crew! They eat crab poo, and food as well. http://Www.isopodconnection.tictail.com Image

I have considered isopods but im unsure how my mom will react lol. She already thinks the hermit crabs look like spiders and sorta cringed every time she looks at them lol. But I'll definitely look into it. My crabs get their poop on the walls sometimes so it might be time for a clean up crew
Lol! Well, I'm a mom, and I don't mind them! Just tell her they need the humidity to breathe, so if they get out of the crabitat they won't survive Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
AndyCrabby

Post by AndyCrabby » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:54 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
AndyCrabby wrote:

Lol! Well, I'm a mom, and I don't mind them! Just tell her they need the humidity to breathe, so if they get out of the crabitat they won't survive Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you so much!
You answer a lot of my posts I've realized lol. I love this online crabby community