How long could it take for my hermit to molt?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
CrabDaddy722

How long could it take for my hermit to molt?

Post by CrabDaddy722 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:08 pm

One of my hermit crabs Anakin has been molting for a little over 3 months now. Anakin is a medium sized hermit crab and has been through 2 successful molts with me so far. His first 2 molts took roughly 2 months or so to complete. I'm getting a little concerned because he's been down for longer this time. In this situation do I just let it be and wait it out..? Also, how much longer until I should really start getting concerned? Thanks for your time.

AwesomeHermit

Re: How long could it take for my hermit to molt?

Post by AwesomeHermit » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:09 pm

You should really get concerned by the 6-month mark if it were me. I would just let it be
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:25 pm

That’s a pretty normal time for a medium, IMO.
I wouldn’t worry at all. Don’t try to dig for him!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:13 pm

I get worried when they are down non-stop around the four-month mark. However, digging them up does them no favors if they are molting, and only satisfies our curiosity. If a crab has passed when underground it causes no harm to others in the tank. It's hard to do, but the best thing is to just wait until you have a need to disturb the substrate.

There is always a possibility with younger crabs that they are sneaking up in the middle of the night and then remolting, so there can be long stretches where you aren't seeing them!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram