Well water question?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
fandt94

Well water question?

Post by fandt94 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:10 pm

So we have a private well. We prefer not to drink from it because we do not have a reverse osmosis system. We cook and bathe with it but that’s it. We fill 5 gallon jugs of spring water for drinking water. My question is, would the well water be safe for the crabs after treating with prime? I have been going through quite a bit of water lately just due to new crabitat purchases and having to clean new items like shells and such. :?:
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Well water question?

Post by wodesorel » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:33 pm

Is there any contamination reason you're not drinking from it? If it's safe for human or pet consumption it's generally safe for hermits. Prime is really only a must if there is chlorination involved, BUT it will also neutralize any trace heavy metals which is good for hermits and which well water can contain.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:43 pm

wodesorel wrote:Is there any contamination reason you're not drinking from it? If it's safe for human or pet consumption it's generally safe for hermits. Prime is really only a must if there is chlorination involved, BUT it will also neutralize any trace heavy metals which is good for hermits and which well water can contain.
No contamination issues, we give well water to the dogs. We just don’t like the metallic taste is all. (We DO brush our teeth with it lol). So it sounds like I can just use our water straight from the faucet without having to use Prime at all? Thank you for your help!
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:34 pm

You can, but keep in mind any toxins (like heavy metals) will be present in the water and not the best to offer to the crabs on a daily basis.

A bit of prime gives you a 'cover all bases' option.
Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:44 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:You can, but keep in mind any toxins (like heavy metals) will be present in the water and not the best to offer to the crabs on a daily basis.

Now I’m confused lol...the first response said that the heavy metals in well water would be good for them? Now I’m not sure if I should or shouldn’t use prime in their drinking water, etc.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:52 pm

fandt94 wrote:
aussieJJDude wrote:You can, but keep in mind any toxins (like heavy metals) will be present in the water and not the best to offer to the crabs on a daily basis.

Now I’m confused lol...the first response said that the heavy metals in well water would be good for them? Now I’m not sure if I should or shouldn’t use prime in their drinking water, etc.
Wods meaning prime is good because of the fact that it neutralizes heavy metals, not because heavy metals are good!

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:12 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
fandt94 wrote:

Wods meaning prime is good because of the fact that it neutralizes heavy metals, not because heavy metals are good!

Got it! Thanks! One more question, I haven’t used the Prime yet (was using a different product), how much to use per cup or gallon?

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:31 pm

fandt94 wrote:
aussieJJDude wrote:
fandt94 wrote: Now I’m confused lol...the first response said that the heavy metals in well water would be good for them? Now I’m not sure if I should or shouldn’t use prime in their drinking water, etc.

Got it! Thanks! One more question, I haven’t used the Prime yet (was using a different product), how much to use per cup or gallon?
2 drops per gallon.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:34 pm

Perfect! Than you for all of your help! :D

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:25 pm

We also don't drink our well water, and don't give it to our pets. We do boil foods in it, brush our teeth, shower with it etc. I don't use it for my crabs. I use the RO water that we get for our drinking water.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:04 pm

curlysister wrote:We also don't drink our well water, and don't give it to our pets. We do boil foods in it, brush our teeth, shower with it etc. I don't use it for my crabs. I use the RO water that we get for our drinking water.

I’m now using our well water but treated with Prime. It makes my life much easier knowing I can go this route versus using our bottled drinking water.