4 newly adopted crabs!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
sundewgirl

4 newly adopted crabs!

Post by sundewgirl » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:27 am

I have been reading these boards for a few weeks and I adopted my crabs from two listings on Kijiji yesterday! I am really excited, and I made sure to check out the basic care sheets and some of the other topics before getting them.

One of my new crabs came in a painted shell, and I know those are bad for them. I was able to get my hands on a few shells to put in with them, and last night the crab in the painted shell switched! My question is this: Do I removed the painted shell so he can't go back? I have seen some posts on here that say they like to try a shell on and then switch back, and the shell he changed into was a cat's eye shell, which I know can be heavy (I am going to buy some additional shells but before yesterday I did not know what size my crabs would be).

Pumpkincrab

Re: 4 newly adopted crabs!

Post by Pumpkincrab » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:48 am

Yes, I would take the painted shell away from him. They aren't good for crabs so it wouldn't be helpful! And welcome to the HCA!
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market
Owner of 4 purple pincher hermit crabs in a 55g tank.

Topic author
sundewgirl

Re: 4 newly adopted crabs!

Post by sundewgirl » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:26 pm

Thanks! I looked some more on these boards this morning and I already did, I knew they were bad, I guess I was just second guessing myself as a new crab owner!