Good Commercial Food

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Crabtivating_Crabber

Good Commercial Food

Post by Crabtivating_Crabber » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:38 pm

Ever since I got my crabs (little bit more than six months) I've been feeding them commercial food pellets every night when I feed them, but have heard that some are bad and found they have a harmful preservative in them (The pellets I've been using are JurassiDiet hermit crab food, and they are listed as having a harmful preservative in them on the HCA commercial food safe list). I was wondering what I should switch to? I mostly use the commercial food because I don't have fresh meat to give to them, but have fruits, greens, and vegetables to feed them. Any tips on which commercial food to switch to would be great!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Good Commercial Food

Post by curlysister » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:08 am

The commercial food care sheet has info on which ones don't contain anything potentially harmful:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92555
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:34 am

Anything single ingredient will meet their meat needs, though having a few for a selection is a good idea. So think plankton, mysis shrimp, red shrimp, crickets, meal worms, gammarus, bloodworms, daphnia, etc. You can find freeze dried in the fish/reptile aisle of the pet store (walmart, too!), or frozen in their freezers. People also use freeze dried cat and dog treats to provide meat, they have chicken and fish and weirder things. Keeping the dried in the freezer will keep it fresh and full of vitamins for a very long time.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Crabtivating_Crabber

Post by Crabtivating_Crabber » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:04 am

Thanks for the replies!