is it safe to add isopods?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
eldkzmffhs1

is it safe to add isopods?

Post by eldkzmffhs1 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:01 pm

Hi.

I'm considering adding isopods to the tank.

Armadillidium gestroi
Armadillidium klugii montenegro

Two things are being considered, but these are large isopods, and I haven't been able to find examples of adding them to the tank.

Are these safe for hermit crab in tanks?

Also, will they help you clean the tank?

Any answers would be appreciated. :o
Last edited by eldkzmffhs1 on Sat May 29, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: is it safe to add isopods?

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:45 am

Yes, those should be fine. They will eat decaying organic matter, which will help keep mold in check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
eldkzmffhs1

Post by eldkzmffhs1 » Sat May 29, 2021 10:51 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:45 am
Yes, those should be fine. They will eat decaying organic matter, which will help keep mold in check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply.

I got 3 types of isopods.

porcellio laevis dairy cow
Armadillidium gestroi
Armadillidium klugii montenegro

Once a sufficient number is obtained, crabitat will be used as cleaning agents.

Thank you.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:07 am

Many that mix species of isopods in the same setup find that after a while, one species will be present and outcompete the others, especially if of same size.

Also, keep in mind, if they are different subspecies (or subpopulations) they can still hybridise, which is something many keepers want to avoid as it introduces novel genetic material into the mix, making them 'not pure' and decreasing value of resale... so if you do want to resell, it's something to keep in mind. :)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:38 pm

Hello! One thing I would keep in mind, is that isopods can overpopulate. If I had to do it all over again, I would not have added them into my tanks. They dominate my tanks so much that I have to take the cholla out of my tank every so often and knock it into a 50 gallon tub. I even sold them to a local pet shop to get rid of them. I was also giving them away on here for free.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:01 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:38 pm
Hello! One thing I would keep in mind, is that isopods can overpopulate. If I had to do it all over again, I would not have added them into my tanks. They dominate my tanks so much that I have to take the cholla out of my tank every so often and knock it into a 50 gallon tub. I even sold them to a local pet shop to get rid of them. I was also giving them away on here for free.
i don’t plan on adding any in my tanks or anything but i am curious how many did u have to start off with?

they sound like a good idea but after hearing people talk about them like you have it’s not worth it.