Can’t Find Proper Shell Size

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
CrabbyCancerian

Can’t Find Proper Shell Size

Post by CrabbyCancerian » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:19 pm

:crabblush:
Hello fellow crabbies.
I need to purchase some shells for my hermit crab. She has not changed shells in a good long while. Last time I spent a fortune on a bunch of new shells for her, none of them were the right size and I got so busy with life this issue simply went by the wayside. Anyhow, I am trying to remedy the situation now. I am simply trying to order her the right size shells. I even measured her shell(s) before I ordered! It is my understanding that a crab needs 3 shell options in their current size, and 3 the next size up so a total of six. Is this correct? My crab is two years old and about the size of a golf ball. I order the shells from Naples Seashell Company. How can I get her in the right size shells!? I am a very busy person and I don’t have all the time in the world (or money) to sit around and try and get this right over and over again. Please keep in mind, I am on a very tight budget.
1 toy poodle, 1 cat, 1 rabbit, 1 purple pincher. Crazy animal lover.

hermitsinnc

Re: Can’t Find Proper Shell Size

Post by hermitsinnc » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:43 pm

Start by measuring the shell opening of the one she's wearing (don't take her out to do this). If she doesn't fit back far enough for you to lay a ruler across the opening, you can use a pair of calipers. Then order shells in that size and some above.
The way Naples' site is laid out, if her opening size measures to 1 in, then I would order 3 in the 1in size, 2 in the 1in+ size, and 1 in the 1 1/8in size.
If her shell is really too small for her (can't go in all the way), then I might do 2 of each of the above.

Don't sweat it, though! If you order a few that are a smidge large, you can save them until she's big enough to wear them! And you can donate or sell any that are too small. Some crabs are very stubborn and will choose to stay in a shell that's too small because they don't want to carry the extra weight of a larger one.
3 PPs: Maxwell (small), Mitchelle (medium/small), Kendall (medium/large)
also have 10gal freshwater fishtank w/ neon tetras, pygmy cories, and nerite snails

"I am here, I am loved, God is good, and that's enough." --Brandon Heath

Happyshamrock73

Post by Happyshamrock73 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:10 pm

I have found the easiest way for ME to measure shell openings is an old fashioned hem/seam measurement tool. They are small and cheap, you may even have one. You can get multiples on Amazon. I keep one in my purse with my measuring tape.Image

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:16 pm

Happyshamrock73 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:10 pm
I have found the easiest way for ME to measure shell openings is an old fashioned hem/seam measurement tool. They are small and cheap, you may even have one. You can get multiples on Amazon. I keep one in my purse with my measuring tape.Image

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
That's a good idea! Calipers work too, and I saw someone post that they are only around $5 at hardware stores.

Be sure to measure the shells properly, and buy from someone who measures theirs properly too. Large shells are expensive, I feel your pain!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:54 am

For purple pinchers, increments of 1/8 to 1/4 inch are okay jumps. Most crabs (and their favorite turbos) will max out at 1 & 1/8 inches. If funds are an issue, stick with Turbo fluctuosus (striped or mexican) or turbo petholatus (tapestry), those will get the most interest and use, and crabs aren't as picky about them being a "perfect" fit and will wear them big.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
CrabbyCancerian

Post by CrabbyCancerian » Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:06 pm

Thank you for your help all! Ps. Sorry for the late reply.

:cheer:
1 toy poodle, 1 cat, 1 rabbit, 1 purple pincher. Crazy animal lover.