Newbie to Crab Care

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Crabby Grammy

Newbie to Crab Care

Post by Crabby Grammy » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:39 am

I posted an introduction but I think I put it in the wrong thread/forum. I'm still figuring it all out lol. Anyway, I've never had hermies before and I'm doing my best to learn about their care. Here is a pic of my 10 gal crabitat that has 2 very small (quarter size) PP's in it. Any suggestions or feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks

https://imageshack.com/user/Sampson1153 ... 052103.jpg

Jlmills525

Re: Newbie to Crab Care

Post by Jlmills525 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:47 am

More things to climb on would be nice for them.. you can get sticks from your yard or a park... just bake them in the oven before putting them in the crabitat.
Wife, Mom, WoW player since Vanilla - Alliance Main
3 PPS - Eugene, Sheldon, Bortus
1 dog - Maggie
1 cat - Weston

Topic author
Crabby Grammy

Post by Crabby Grammy » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:11 pm

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing. I tried to find a driftwood centerpiece with several branches but I had no luck finding one for a 10 gal tank. That's why I ended up with the bridge. At least it's something. I don't think you can see it from the pic but I have fish net draped over the side of the moss cup for them to climb up. I thought about draping some over the tiki head to give them more to climb on and it wouldn't take up any more tank space. Plus I've ordered another chollo log. I couldn't find any off the shelf that weren't as big around as my arm. Maybe I could also take some fish netting and make a corner hammock. They were living for a week in the critter carrier I brought them home in so I've been scrambling to get them an appropriate home set up as fast as possible. It will always be a work in progress lol. I'm brand new to crab ownership so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jlmills525

Post by Jlmills525 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:19 pm

you can check out dollar stores and hobby stores also for things to put in their tank.. it doesn't have to be actual crab decor or anything.. like a small pot on its side can be a hide.. or some small plastic organizers can have a 'door' cut into them
Wife, Mom, WoW player since Vanilla - Alliance Main
3 PPS - Eugene, Sheldon, Bortus
1 dog - Maggie
1 cat - Weston