Measurments

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Fangs19

Measurments

Post by Fangs19 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:15 am

Hello!
Long time no see!
I’m still trying to find a proper shell for M&M I got him some shells a while ago only for them to be to big I order a size 7/8 for him
So could anyone tell me if I measured him correctly and what his size is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

myllkti

Re: Measurments

Post by myllkti » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:24 am

Heya! You'll want to measure across starting from the point of the spiral. Here's a video that gives a visual!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94u0YNPADGg
Mere, Elie, and Syd!

Join the Hermit Crab Haven discord!: https://discord.gg/3SnvTczt7p

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:46 pm

You're measuring the wrong direction, but a 7/8 inch opening should still be the correct sizing for him given how far he's hanging out. One thing to keep in mind is that he's in a D shaped shell, which is going to be a much tighter fit compared to an O shaped turbo in a matching opening size.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Fangs19

Post by Fangs19 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:13 pm

wodesorel wrote:You're measuring the wrong direction, but a 7/8 inch opening should still be the correct sizing for him given how far he's hanging out. One thing to keep in mind is that he's in a D shaped shell, which is going to be a much tighter fit compared to an O shaped turbo in a matching opening size.

These are the shells I got him previously
They still remain in the tank just in case he can fit in there or changes his mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:13 pm

I never did like silvermouth turbos much. They're extra thick, so the openings almost never line up well with what can actually fit inside. Also super heavy! Gorgeous shells, but not the best for hermits.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram