MY CRABS ARE FREEZING

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
sunflower_crabitat

MY CRABS ARE FREEZING

Post by sunflower_crabitat » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:18 pm

we have a small heater and a heat lamp (outside the tank, temporary) to heat up the tank but it's sticking at 70 degrees, they've buried themselves in the same a bit, creating almost a door in the sand and when I remove them from their hides, they run straight to the heat mat. What heater is recommended and what do I do?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: MY CRABS ARE FREEZING

Post by curlysister » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:49 pm

Is this the tote you had set up?
If you only have one heat mat on the tank, get some more! I actually have four (two on the back and one on each side) so I can plug/ unplug them as needed, since the temp in the room where my tank is, varies quite a bit between seasons.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: MY CRABS ARE FREEZING

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:18 pm

Ultratherms are really good and can be insulated for additional efficiency but aren’t always easy to find since the big brand chain stores don’t always have them. I’ve seen them in smaller stores, otherwise websites like Fluker’s or Bean Farm will have them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk