Does filtered water from my fridge work as freshwater?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Pumpkin the Crab

Does filtered water from my fridge work as freshwater?

Post by Pumpkin the Crab » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:12 pm

It’s what I’ve been using because Google said it doesn’t have chlorine, but are there other things I should be worried about?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Does filtered water from my fridge work as freshwater?

Post by curlysister » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:34 am

I don't think that a fridge system will dechlorinate the water. Maybe filter but not dechlorinate. So you should use a dechlorinator. Be sure to read the 'water' care sheet to learn what you need to know about water.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

MurkyCrabs

Re: Does filtered water from my fridge work as freshwater?

Post by MurkyCrabs » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:40 am

even if its coming from a filter, it still needs a water conditioner. The water conditioner acts to bind and neutralize any chlorine/ammonia/heavy metals i believe (description may be a bit off as this is off the top of my head but the point still stands) that the filter absolutely cannot get. These things present in our water are harmful to the hermit crabs. There are lots of different conditoners and theyre almost all available at your local pet store near the fish. https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 27&t=92553
the attached link is the forums water page and can tell you what conditioners/dechlorinators work best in certain conditions (i.e. I have chlorine, heavy metals, and ammonia in my water so I use a dechlorinator that works for all three). Also make sure you have saltwater available with marine salt! (also available at your local pet store and quite cheap) The saltwater also needs to be dechlorinated.