New crabs - looking for some help

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Flyingpenguin28

New crabs - looking for some help

Post by Flyingpenguin28 » Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:02 pm

Not mine but my sister bought 2 hermit crabs for my niece and nephew at a beach souvenir shop. She brought them home a couple days ago in those little plastic carrying cases, but is saying they haven’t moved in a couple days. I don’t have pictures, but I’ll describe my best…
She has changed their water daily and they have a little sponge in their bowl. She’s fed them crab food but says it doesn’t look like they’ve touched it.
Substrate - those little aquarium pellets for fish tanks (and not many of them). I know they need sand or something but don’t know what to tell her.
Do they need freshwater and saltwater?
I’m sorry for all this information but I’m going up there tomorrow to try to help them out.

IamSam

Re: New crabs - looking for some help

Post by IamSam » Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:51 pm

This is a good info to start with. Do you know their species? Crabs require more then what you're given at souvenir shops and a lot of the time what they come with isnt good for them.

viewtopic.php?f=120&t=119273

The link above is a good start. But when you figure out the species you can get some more breed specific info in the other care sheets that are available here viewforum.php?f=120

Good luck with the new ones!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:03 am

For sure have a read through of the 'basics' care sheet that IamSam posted - it has all the info needed to set up a basic tank, including a photo. The crabs will not survive long term in the current set up.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Flyingpenguin28

Post by Flyingpenguin28 » Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:37 pm

IamSam wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:51 pm
This is a good info to start with. Do you know their species? Crabs require more then what you're given at souvenir shops and a lot of the time what they come with isnt good for them.

viewtopic.php?f=120&t=119273

The link above is a good start. But when you figure out the species you can get some more breed specific info in the other care sheets that are available here viewforum.php?f=120

Good luck with the new ones!
I was able to get them a 10 gallon tank and some coconut substrate and almost immediately the totally inactive one started crawling around and digging :cheer:
I got them saltwater (which I never knew about) and freshwater, some shells of different sizes, and a place to hide. I have a few more decorations/climbing features I want to add but they seem much happier already!
Thank you both!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:20 am

No problem! A hygrometer/ thermometer is also a priority so you can adjust the temp and humidity as needed. It does not have to be a big ticket item, I spent less than $10 on a digital Acurite one.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Ladymitchell

Post by Ladymitchell » Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:19 pm

Where did you buy this at

Ladymitchell

Post by Ladymitchell » Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:23 pm

Can you have to much moss in your tank... just trying to keep my humidity up

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Aug 06, 2024 11:15 pm

What do you have for substrate, and how deep is it? Is it moistened with dechlorinated water?
Do you have a lid or cover on the tank?
What are your current temperature and humidity readings?

I got the Acurite thermometer/ hygrometer from a local hardware store.