Are 'pools' a must?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
hlabone72

Are 'pools' a must?

Post by hlabone72 » Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:33 am

I have a regular (dechlorinated of course) water and a salt water bowl - they are deep but not huge. I only have two small crabs. Is it required I have a pool large like I have seen with the tupperware containers? Or as long as they can get their whole self in?

I will be transitioning to a 20 gallon long tank I just acquired. They were kept in a bad environment before I adopted so they have been hiding now that they can, and molting after a year of no substrate at all. Changing shells a lot so I've wanted to just kinda leave them alone for a little while.
-Heather crab mom of 3

I<3mycrabbies

Re: Are 'pools' a must?

Post by I<3mycrabbies » Wed Aug 28, 2024 6:49 pm

As long as they have an easy way in and out and they can fully submerge then you don't need to have super deep pools.

Topic author
hlabone72

Post by hlabone72 » Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:15 am

Thank you so much for that!
-Heather crab mom of 3

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:42 pm

Purple Pinchers are known more for wading and toe-dipping than swimming. I have had hermit crabs for almost 14 years, and have never had pools deep enough for them to submerge - they are more like wading pools than swimming pools.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
hlabone72

Post by hlabone72 » Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:07 am

curlysister wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:42 pm
Purple Pinchers are known more for wading and toe-dipping than swimming. I have had hermit crabs for almost 14 years, and have never had pools deep enough for them to submerge - they are more like wading pools than swimming pools.
Ok, yeah my one who ended up alone was just a toe dipper, and the two new ones (purple pinchers) seem to just do the same. Unless I see other behavior I will just leave it as is. :D
-Heather crab mom of 3