Stick things to side of tank

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
crabbygirl1994

Stick things to side of tank

Post by crabbygirl1994 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:18 am

I have crabs that are pretty big in size, probably what you would consider a 'large' size crab. I have a few items that I would like to stick to the tank walls- to make a second level and such. The suctions cups don't hold well enough though! The big crabs drag them down. Is there anything out there that is tougher, will hold tight, and allow the crabs to use the furniture?
Hermit crabs: Admiral Farragut (s), Nibi (m), Bethany (m), Melvin (l), Port Royal (l)
Non crabs: 1 cat, 2 parakeets, 1 guinea pig, 1 chinchilla

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:36 am

aquarium sealant and or (100% silicone)? I would think if nothing else is holding that would be one of your best options. However you would be stuck with where you stick it...

What are you trying to stick up exactly...

I could come up with some ideas but knowing whats going up would help...

Is sealant what your thinking or something more temporary?

poncho

Post by poncho » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:51 am

I use the heavy duty suction hooks from Walmart..found in the bath accessories isle

hope this helps :wink:
wife to very patient husband,mommy to three little ones
PPs Es Violas
Strawberries
Blueberries
Indos

crabbymommie

Post by crabbymommie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:17 pm

I use aquarium sealant (100% silicone). My shell shops are so heavy and this is the only way I can get my suction cups to stick.
visit me at http://hermitcrabcolony.blogspot.com/

37 crabs and counting. 75 gallon and a 40 breeder.
Mother to an anazing 4 year old boy. My husband thinks I am obsessed with hermies but I love them. Who can say no to those cute little eyes staring up at you? No, really, `cuz I can't.

Xena

Post by Xena » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:06 pm

Poncho...thanks for the pix of those hooks...I am going to take a look at my Walmart for those for sure!

poncho

Post by poncho » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:49 pm

Xena~ no problem..I actually just picked up some more tonight at Meijers for 1.99 8)
wife to very patient husband,mommy to three little ones
PPs Es Violas
Strawberries
Blueberries
Indos

hermiegirl

Post by hermiegirl » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:47 am

In my 55g that I had, I actually made a second lvl using a piece of plastic sheet from Lowes for like $2, a dowel rod that I cut in 2 lengths just the width of the tank, and a couple rubber stoppers to go on the ends of the dowel rod. You cut to dowel rods to length, put the rubber stoppers on each end, and then wedge them where you want in the tank. I wrapped the plastic sheet in fishnet and let it hang down as a ladder. If you tuck the net down between the rods, you won't have any issues with crabs pulling it off. Now you have a very clean area for a shell shop, hidey, treat bowl, or whatever else you want.

megamelfina

Post by megamelfina » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:29 pm

For my second level, I did a little bit like above: I made a separate plexiglass box, then used sealant to put a little plastic 'ledge' in the tank. Then I put the box on the ledge and it rests on the plastic ledges. It supports a lot of weight and it's easy to take out and clean.

nora

Post by nora » Mon May 18, 2009 11:39 pm

I use industrial velcro. It doesn't slip but can be scraped off. New velcro is needed for redecorating though. Velcro can be found in most grocery stores. :)
nora