shell fight?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
snickersnflip

shell fight?

Post by snickersnflip » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:39 pm

ok to start out, snickers was in a greyish shell with black spots. flip was in a jade turbo (i think that's what its called) both crabs had a shell that fit them pretty well. i sat down to dinner with my family, and started eating. i heard a weird noise i had never heard before like a maybe,series of crab chirps. ( i have heard audio recordings of crab chirps) i asked if anyone else had heard it ( that 'tat is right next to the dining table on the piano.) and my little brother said he thought he did. i finish eating and check on the crabbies, and lo and behold, snickers is in the jade turbo, and flip is now in a whiteish grey shell, that looks a tiny bit on the small side for him.

i am thinking that there two case senarios. one, flip is in a phase were almost every day he trys on a shell, and then switches back. maybe he switched into this whiteish grey shell and snickers grabbed it up, and flip got upset and started chirping?

two, maybe it was a shell fight.

under the ussumption that it may have been a shell fight, what do you do after one? the odd thing is, that both crabs had shells that fit well. snickers is now in a shell that's a little too big, and flip is now in one that's a little too small. and snickers is also a little smaller than flip! are they kinda like dogs, and the smaller ones think they are the boss?

they have plenty of other shell to change into by the way :wink:
~~4 PPs~~ Flip (4/19/10) Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh(4/29/14)
Snickers R.I.P(4/19/10-??/??/13-14), Summersault R.I.P (11/28/10-????)

tigermoon89

Post by tigermoon89 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Both assumptions sum it up :)

You don't do anything after a shell fight. If you hear more aggressive chirping noises, seperate the aggressor on the other side of the tank. If he continues towards the crab, then place him in iso for a bit. (time out method)
Crystal
"There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher

My organic hermit crab food store, Crabby Teas is now up and running! Please feel free to check out the shop. Mention the HCA and I will include a free gift! http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrabbyTeas?ref=pr_shop

Topic author
snickersnflip

Post by snickersnflip » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:02 pm

ok :) thanks :)
~~4 PPs~~ Flip (4/19/10) Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh(4/29/14)
Snickers R.I.P(4/19/10-??/??/13-14), Summersault R.I.P (11/28/10-????)