teabag contents? EDIT* any input, anyone??

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
crabbyhappy

teabag contents? EDIT* any input, anyone??

Post by crabbyhappy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:58 pm

I was just curious as to what you guys think about opening a teabag and feeding that to crabs? The brand that I have is Numi and it is a certified organic brand. The three I was specifically wondering about were Moroccan Mint, Green Rooibos, and Honeybush. For ingredients the morrocan mint just says organic morrocan mint; the honeybush says organic honeybush and the green rooibos says organic green rooibos & organic honeybush. Since there aren't any other added ingredients like citric acid and such, could I just open a bag and feed it? I'm pretty sure I've read green rooibos and mint are safe to feed, is that correct? But does anyone know about honeybush? Also, all these teas are what is known as teasans, so they are naturally caffeine free. Any input would help, thanks!

EDIT* sorry, I didn't read the safe food list before I typed out this post. I saw that honeybush is on there, so scratch that question about whether it was safe or not! Lol
Proud owner of two Purple Pinchers, Toki and Doki = ) and two lovable pit bulls that I love

Topic author
crabbyhappy

Re: teabag contents? EDIT* any input, anyone??

Post by crabbyhappy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:16 pm

Does anyone have any input on this? I would think its okay.....but just not sure
Proud owner of two Purple Pinchers, Toki and Doki = ) and two lovable pit bulls that I love

KrabbyKelly

Post by KrabbyKelly » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:35 pm

I think I remeber someone else doing this, I would think if all the ingedients listed were on the safe list this would be ok. It would be similar to some of the dried foods I see for sale from some of the hermit crab supply/food stores I've seen online.

Shivering Isles

Post by Shivering Isles » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:22 pm

Yes it is okay. I have given my crabs chamomile tea and some green tea before. They actually really like it! :) I steep mine in some warm dechlor water and then put a shallow dish in the tank. But I am sure they would like it if you just offered the dried contents. :crabbigsmile:
"Some things start out big, and some things start out small, very small. But sometimes the smallest thing can make the biggest changes of all."
-Plio from Dinosaur

Alma

Post by Alma » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:13 am

Ha ha ha ha ha that's funny. same thing happened to me, i didn't notice that rolled oats was on the list until after I posted a bulletin.lol.

Jcat

Post by Jcat » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:18 pm

I too have given mine chamomile and they enjoyed it very much, I just open it and put in dry, They also enjoyed a fruity one that a friend had given me in a gift basket. As its been said if its on the safe food list it'll be fine for them :)

zippity

Post by zippity » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:09 am

Sounds good! I've got one with organic green tea and raspberry leaves; will give it a try today. :)

Alma

Post by Alma » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:03 pm

I have organic white tea. It's not on the list, is there a chance it is safe but just not on the list.

Topic author
crabbyhappy

Post by crabbyhappy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:32 pm

Okay, well I feel okay feeding it to them, so I will try it out soon!