Second molter

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Lasuna

Second molter

Post by Lasuna » Tue May 29, 2012 5:39 pm

Ok, I've been worried about my big guy Anubis (he's a small/med) since he's been acting funny for almost a month now, well before I left school. I was starting to worry that someone may have been into my crab cage and messed with him at school because he blatantly refused to leave the coconut hut in their tank. I've checked in on him once and a while at school to make sure he's still alive, and each time he always goes back to the hut and closes up the entrance either with sand, or his shell. I hoped he'd change his attitude when I got back from school, and that he'd be more social especially since I transferred them to a new bigger tank this weekend. Well of course, he immediately returned to his hut and walled himself off. This afternoon I went past the tank and smelled something fishy, fearing the worse I opened the tank and peaked in the hut, and he molted! He's closed off his hut with his giant shell, though the others do like to go check on him occasionally, especially my little Amun-ra. Now this is my second molt, but I'm not sure how long this guy's gonna take, or if there's anything i should keep an eye out for from the others, because my first molt was a little... weird.

My first molt happened in the middle of the night, by my E Amun-ra the night I got him. He was playing and having fun with everyone in the tank, and I last saw him heading into the hut before going to bed for the night. This was just shortly before Anubis decided to start walling off the hut. When I woke up in the morning I glanced in the tank and saw small blue shell fragments EVERYWHERE in the area in front of the hut. I lifted up the hut and in the crushed fragments of exo skeleton is Anubis, sleeping on Amun-ra's shell. I thought he killed him in the middle of the night and ate the little guy! Thankfully all it turns out is that Anubis decided to kick Amun-ra out and sleep there. Amun-ra is quite safe, and finished his molt in Iso, with no further problems, though it did take some time for me to find all the exo fragments for him. Since he's an E, AND had to deal with this I'd say he and I are very lucky.
Six Crabs: Purple Pinchers: Horus(one molt), Anubis(one molt), Set(molting?). Ecuadorians: Geb(one molt) Sekhmet(Two Molts), Shu (molting?)
Two Asthmatic Cats: Ena, Una