petco...

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
bbcraft22

petco...

Post by bbcraft22 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:35 pm

the hermit crabs there are in need of help and are in very bad shape. Substrate like half- inch, no extra shells, pellets, no hideout, about 50 hermits in 30 gal. Should I save them their or should I go to some other places like point pleasent??? :huh::
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: petco...

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:47 pm

Ask to speak to the manager about it.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:49 am

GotButterflies wrote:Ask to speak to the manager about it.
...And try and show them how hermit crabs should be kept.

~~~~~~~
Just also pointing out, its probably best that the tank has low substrate. Remember, its a petstore. Animals are naturally going to be overcrowded, so 40 odd crabs inside a 20g (for example) with deep substrate is going to mean that if some goes down and moults; most likely they going to be preyed upon or that there isn't enough room available. Not to mention the thought of an employee digging up a moulting crab. :shock:
Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

Topic author
bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:22 pm

that actually makes sense! but what about how they treat geckos? 10 of them in 10 gallon tank. Not trying to argue with you.
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:20 pm

If you know about Geckos, educate them about those too! Talk to employees, speak to management and write to corporate. You could also forward your letter to the Humane Society of The United States & the ASPCA.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:18 pm

bbcraft22 wrote:that actually makes sense! but what about how they treat geckos? 10 of them in 10 gallon tank. Not trying to argue with you.
I have a basic - at most - idea about reptiles and amphibians, so it's probably best if you ask someone else with a little more experience. They aren't really *allowed* as pet, unless you have a licence. Even then, its pretty much Australian geckos only...
However off memory, many gecko species are territorial, so they probably would appreciate at least dense foilage in the cage or multiple setups like a betta barrack system. Or even not having that many animals shipped in. but like Gotbutterflies said, if you know how to keep them properly, speak up!

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:20 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
bbcraft22 wrote:that actually makes sense! but what about how they treat geckos? 10 of them in 10 gallon tank. Not trying to argue with you.
I have a basic - at most - idea about reptiles and amphibians, so it's probably best if you ask someone else with a little more experience. They aren't really *allowed* as pet, unless you have a licence. Even then, its pretty much Australian geckos only...
However off memory, many gecko species are territorial, so they probably would appreciate at least dense foilage in the cage or multiple setups like a betta barrack system. Or even not having that many animals shipped in. but like Gotbutterflies said, if you know how to keep them properly, speak up!
In the U.S. you can buy several species of gecko. Leopard and crested geckos are very popular.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

PinchersAndShells
Administrator
Administrator

Post by PinchersAndShells » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:23 pm

A lot of pet stores I've noticed have made me cringe. The one in my town, I went in one time and their sub was flooded. Not to mention it drowned a crab and they had left it lying in the watery mess. I had to tell them that it was dead, and the sub was flooded, because nobody was paying any attention.
5 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Edd, Momo, Merle, Dottie, & Elvis
3 Captive Bred Babies = Randy, Roxie, Marco
37 + 10 Gallon Crabitats | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:42 am

aussieJJDude wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:Ask to speak to the manager about it.
...And try and show them how hermit crabs should be kept.

~~~~~~~
Just also pointing out, its probably best that the tank has low substrate. Remember, its a petstore. Animals are naturally going to be overcrowded, so 40 odd crabs inside a 20g (for example) with deep substrate is going to mean that if some goes down and moults; most likely they going to be preyed upon or that there isn't enough room available. Not to mention the thought of an employee digging up a moulting crab. :shock:
I had this happen at petsupermarket :(
I was amazed because aside from painted shells and over crowding they had it pretty good. Then she started digging around in there. Before i had time to say anything my fiancé who does all of this simply for my happiness (has nooo interest), freaks out scared her so much she almost dropped a crab she pulled. YOU CAAAAANT DIG THEM UP! ARE YOU CRAZY! As everyone in the store was staring at him lol including me.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:57 pm

Trust me i know petco by me half inch of sub which was pink calci sand 40 % humidity no food one water dish with a sponge. I tried to save one from petco and he didn't make it. It's horrific the abuse at petco i want to write a long letter to the company. I wish they would stop selling crabs its. Heart breaking

Is there a direct link anywhere to who at petco i can contact about the situation i saw at their store near me ?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:29 pm

isadoraisacat wrote:Is there a direct link anywhere to who at petco i can contact about the situation i saw at their store near me ?
contact

Maybe this would help? http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 40&t=95169

(Sorry I can't help any further, aussie crabber over here! )

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:30 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
isadoraisacat wrote:Is there a direct link anywhere to who at petco i can contact about the situation i saw at their store near me ?
contact

Maybe this would help? http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 40&t=95169

(Sorry I can't help any further, aussie crabber over here! )
Thanks i don't want to be rude because i want to be heard i just want it addressed that this location is not up to par as far as crab care thanks

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:33 pm

Best of luck and please tell us how it turns out! :) Most likely they won't change - sorry to be disheartening - but there has been times when the situation has turned around.

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:36 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Best of luck and please tell us how it turns out! :) Most likely they won't change - sorry to be disheartening - but there has been times when the situation has turned around.
I have already told the girl who works there that the humidity is too low and she Misted.i checked a week later and it was still low thjs is the petco i got kiwi from and he passed prob due to poor care and pps passed during a molt it's so upsetting i still can't stop thinking about him and how i couldn't save him [CRYING FACE]

jmafnas92

Post by jmafnas92 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:28 am

Unfortunately it's a company wide issue. Not just in your area. I've experienced this many times. 4 to be exact. Fter lots of research and educating myself I visited a petco to get supplies for crabs I was adopting elsewhere. I noticed the substrate was shallow but I chalked that up to the store being temporary for the pets and they don't want them to molt when they could be getting adopted. But my main concern was the humidity. Either the gauges would be broken. Or the humidity would be as low as 10% and I witnessed this in 4 different stores in a weeks period (i traveled a lot that week lol) my son and I even called ourselves crab dectectives. Checking stores making sure the crabs weren't suffocating. And that thought killed me. So every store I went to I spoke with the manager and told them the issue and they sprayed immediately. But seeing this was a larger issue I wrote to petco via Facebook. They responded that animal care was their top priority so and so. A few days later all the managers called me personally to apologize. They promised the issue would be resolved. A few days later I received a call from a district manager. Same thing. He apologized and assured me this problem would be resolved. The next day I spoke with another district manager and it really felt like my voice was being heard and they were taking the issue seriously. I haven't been back to a petco since because I haven't needed supplies or I bought it elsewhere but I did pop into one of the problem stores and their humidity was at 75% so I at least made a difference in one store. Possibly all of them. I don't really know. But it can be done. Just keep talking till someone listens. I will need to get supplies soon so I may visit the 1st problem store to see how the crabbies are doing. So I encurage you to say something anytime you see neglect. I know the issue of other animals was brought up as well and I know that's another issue but I'm not educated about snakes or lizards. I just know about crabs and so I knew for a fact some thing was very wrong.