Danys ?-Coenobita-breeding-thread

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
naalide

Re: Danys ?-Coenobita-breeding-thread

Post by naalide » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:57 am

Thanks aussieJJDude! :)
There are several in shells right now. I hope the are making the next step, the first on land, soon. :D

As for the numbers, I updated the last counting-picutre.

And here are some new pictures...

First the 'old' breeding from 2015. I count them again, looking for the first time how much of each sex I have, while separating females and males in different crabitats.
The picture was made on 17. of September:

These are five of eight males and there are ten females now separated.

This was on 22. of September (a week old), while cleaning the kreisel-tank. They are form one tank (of three)! Still over thousand in one tank!

Close up:

Some of the zoea, third stadium, are eating bigger artemia (yellow markings) and one in this picture is eating another zoea (red marking):

I've seen that before. It's seldom, but they seem to be cannibalistic before magalopa-stadium.
5 Indos, 4 Violas, 1 Rugs, 1 E, 5 adult PPs and about 22 breeding's of PPs!
Some other breeding's also, which species is yet not confirmed.
Feel free to visit Danys ?-Coenobita-breeding-thread (since page 12 year 2018)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:06 pm

Very cool! Thank you very much for sharing!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:26 pm

Awesome shots.
Quick question, any reason why you seperated the males from the females? would they breed at such a young age?
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
naalide

Post by naalide » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:22 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Quick question, any reason why you seperated the males from the females? would they breed at such a young age?
I'm not sure, when the start breeding. I would like to know that, so it's not the reason.
I separate them just for counting and because I have some crabowners, which would take some of them. So I don't have to stress them again, before giving them into the care of others.

Today I put one megalopa under my microscope (20 X).

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:49 pm

Awesome picture!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
naalide

Post by naalide » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:40 am

Thanks!

And I have some new pictures:

First breeding from this year, day 50 (today). Only our animals in shells ans a lot searching and trying shells. None at land right now. They stay very long inside the water and don't behave link my PP's from 2015. Violas should faster develop, so please cross your fingers, that these are Indos.
The four are separated an one was walking along the frontside of the water-pool, as you can see in this picture:

A few days ago I cleaned the second breeding. The picture shows most larvae of one kreisel-tank. That was day 14, now is day 17. I guess thy are PPs, because they are getting very coloured now.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:47 am

My fingers that the megalopa in the first pic is in fact some Indos. That would be awesome to see, and as far as I am aware, no one has tried them - successfully - yet.

The thing I really want to know is if infact the pink Indos is actually a genetic variation - a sub species - or if a small percentage is pink in every population... Cause if any of the babies turn pink, it may answer the old question!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:35 am

Love the picture! I hope that is an Indo for you! Absolutely adorable!! I'm so happy that you have been successful! I wish I could have made it past day 14! I will have to make a better kriesel so the glue doesn't come undone.

Love all the zoeae! Lots of color!

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:27 am

They’re soo cute! I want a baby hermit crab soo bad!

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Topic author
naalide

Post by naalide » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:36 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:They’re soo cute! I want a baby hermit crab soo bad!
Well, just give up your normal life between people, invest all your time in crabs... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Since my pictures are better, than my English: This picture shows the transition-tank. Water-level is low, 5-8 centimetre.

And this picture I made just half an hour ago. One of the little crabs (these seem to molt under water) just a little bit over the water surface.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:24 am

Nice transition tank. Thats interesting that it moulted underwater, if it is indeed a Indo, I wonder if its an indo thing or just in this instance...?

(And your english isn't bad at all! )

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:44 am

naalide may I ask if the water in the transition tank is in a container or all over the bottom of the tank with deeper sand on the beach part? Love your rocks for them to climb up and out on. That's where I lost a heap on my first attempt as they couldn't (didn't) get out of the water.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:47 am

aussieJJDude wrote:
naalide wrote:Hey, I had some last year. They even changed to megalopa. Unfortunately they died, before they took shells.
But you are right, is was a long time since the last larvae. :?
I advanced the theory, that breeding has something to do with the weather, especially areas of high pressure.
Since December 2012 we had no anticyclone in Germany. Since 2 month it's nearly 'tropical' (mostly over 25°C, very often up to 35°C and higher humidity than normal). Seems to stimulate the crabs. :D
Haha, yes, I was more taking about the time :) OH well, you have more, they seem to be making up for it :lol:
Both my lots of zoea were deposited on summer nights that we had huge thunder storms. SO I am also thinking that weather has something to do with their release.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:53 am

I wish I could try it, I wouldn’t even know where to start. I had a tank of baby guppies that I couldn’t even keep. I lost them when I went in to have my son, he’s 8 now. That last picture is amazing!!! I love seeing everyones dedication to their crabs, it is very admirable.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:20 pm

naalide wrote:
RiNiKy506 wrote:
And this picture I made just half an hour ago. One of the little crabs (these seem to molt under water) just a little bit over the water surface.

Really cute.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!