Mites Won't Go Away

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
bridgettbiologist

Mites Won't Go Away

Post by bridgettbiologist » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:59 am

Hi everyone, I'd really appreciate some advice for my problem...

About 2 months ago my tank was infested with mites because of some dead moss I left in there. So I bathed the crabs, washed the tank, threw out the sand, and sterilized all the decorations. Now the mites are back and I'm not sure why. Please help! Thanks.

soilentgringa

Re: Mites Won't Go Away

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:22 pm

bridgettbiologist wrote:Hi everyone, I'd really appreciate some advice for my problem...

About 2 months ago my tank was infested with mites because of some dead moss I left in there. So I bathed the crabs, washed the tank, threw out the sand, and sterilized all the decorations. Now the mites are back and I'm not sure why. Please help! Thanks.
Food mites are part of having crabs. They're tiny, like sesame seeds, whitish grey, and harmless.

Most people either have them or they have springtails-which are great to have in a crab tank as they help breakdown waste.

Unless you have reddish orange mites that are attached to soft areas of your crab and are almost sort of glued to them, then you don't have anything to worry about.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:55 pm

Just gonna throw out there that both food mites and springtails can be found in our homes and gardens, which would explain how they came back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
bridgettbiologist

Post by bridgettbiologist » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:12 pm

Thank you soilentgringa! I think I actually have springtails.

Strelok_401

Post by Strelok_401 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:01 am

Okay, noob posting time : is there some kind of small species of fish, or another sort of marine creature, that eats these mites? It could be a green and easy way to get rid of them.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:32 am

These are land hermit crabs, not marine crabs, so their tanks are full of sandy substrate, not water.
Strelok_401 wrote:Okay, noob posting time : is there some kind of small species of fish, or another sort of marine creature, that eats these mites? It could be a green and easy way to get rid of them.
Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk