Isopods!

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
Sylah

Isopods!

Post by Sylah » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:42 pm

Someone was chatting about isopods and poop so now I realized there is more to keeping a crabitat!

Some questions -

1. I have some roly pollies in the yard, can I just pick them and breed them? (They are the dark grey ones and curl up into a ball when touched.)
2. Can I put wild ones into the crabitat?
3. If not, which species should I order?
4. I have a 10 gallon tank, how many should I put in there?
5. My crabbies just got into their new home 10 days ago and likely are de-stressing, when should I introduce isopods?

Thank you!!!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Isopods!

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:39 pm

You can introduce isopods from the yard, but encourage you to breed them in captivity to ensure they not carrying mites or diseases for a couple of generations. (Not required, but if you want to play it safe... wont hurt!)
You can also order them of isopodconnections, which has many different species and colour morphs available. Any species from there will work, if you find any other site and decide to go through there, let us know! Giving everyone options is a good idea.
As for stocking the tank some suggest starting out either 1 per gallon (up to 5 per gallon) or 5 to 10 per crab. There is no general rule, however the more you have the more established it will be and less likely the crabs will eat through your entire starter colony.
Its fine to add them in now. They dont dig far when moulting, so they will not prey on moulting crabs (as for destressing, gives the isopods time to establish)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:01 pm

I don't think Isopods are a requirement for keeping a good clean tank but are just helpful in cleaning up and keeping food mites at bay. I have seven crabs and crab doodie hasn't become a problem for me yet. They tend to flush most of it out of their shells in the water dish so most of it is taken care of during water changes the rest is left in a few neat piles here and there so I just spot clean nightly. eco earth I've heard is somewhat bio active in breaking it down as well. It really isint an issue and doesn't smell but I might I get some if I ever develop a food mite problem though! That would creep me the heck out! :shock: (knocking on wood) :lol:
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

Topic author
Sylah

Post by Sylah » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:52 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:You can introduce isopods from the yard, but encourage you to breed them in captivity to ensure they not carrying mites or diseases for a couple of generations. (Not required, but if you want to play it safe... wont hurt!)
You can also order them of isopodconnections, which has many different species and colour morphs available. Any species from there will work, if you find any other site and decide to go through there, let us know! Giving everyone options is a good idea.
As for stocking the tank some suggest starting out either 1 per gallon (up to 5 per gallon) or 5 to 10 per crab. There is no general rule, however the more you have the more established it will be and less likely the crabs will eat through your entire starter colony.
Its fine to add them in now. They dont dig far when moulting, so they will not prey on moulting crabs (as for destressing, gives the isopods time to establish)

Great! Thanks for the info!
Happyhermiehome wrote:I don't think Isopods are a requirement for keeping a good clean tank but are just helpful in cleaning up and keeping food mites at bay. I have seven crabs and crab doodie hasn't become a problem for me yet. They tend to flush most of it out of their shells in the water dish so most of it is taken care of during water changes the rest is left in a few neat piles here and there so I just spot clean nightly. eco earth I've heard is somewhat bio active in breaking it down as well. It really isint an issue and doesn't smell but I might I get some if I ever develop a food mite problem though! That would creep me the heck out! :shock: (knocking on wood) :lol:
Yes, in that case I think I will wait and see :) Thanks!!!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:16 pm

However they not really used to break down crab poop (but they do help), but rather eat food that may have strayed from the food dish and start rotting

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:22 pm

They eat all of my crab poo! ;)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:07 pm

I wouldn't say they eat all of my crab poo but they do eat a significant amount. It used to be everywhere. Now it's mostly in the water bowl and the shell shop.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian