Depth of pools

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Depth of pools

Post by avocadocrabbies » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:12 pm

Both my salt and freshwater pools are deep enough for my crabs to submerge- the depth of the salt water is about twice the height of my biggest crab, the freshwater is more of a submerging depth. Anyway, I have seen a lot of contradicting posts pertaining to the topic of how deep it should be. Neither of my crabs have done more than sit on the edge of both pools with a couple legs hanging into the water, so I'm wondering if they are scared of drowning/don't know how to swim? I've been sitting by their 50gal for hours watching them perched there, gnawing on my nails and hoping they don't plop in and drown...

p.s. pool guy is named pool guy because when we first put him in the 50gal with the deeper pool, he sat on the edge of the pool for a solid twelve hours and didn't budge :roll: he has a little cave tunneled in beneath that same pool
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Depth of pools

Post by curlysister » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:12 pm

I don't think you'll find much contradicting advice on HCA re- pools. They should be deep enough that crabs can fully submerge if they choose to, but also have a way to climb out. Do your pools have a way for them to get out?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:25 pm

I think I may know what you mean by contradicting posts. I’ve seen posts from before my time advising depth of up to the shell opening.

Deep enough to submerge completely is the current recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:07 pm

avocadocrabbies wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:12 pm
Both my salt and freshwater pools are deep enough for my crabs to submerge- the depth of the salt water is about twice the height of my biggest crab, the freshwater is more of a submerging depth. Anyway, I have seen a lot of contradicting posts pertaining to the topic of how deep it should be. Neither of my crabs have done more than sit on the edge of both pools with a couple legs hanging into the water, so I'm wondering if they are scared of drowning/don't know how to swim? I've been sitting by their 50gal for hours watching them perched there, gnawing on my nails and hoping they don't plop in and drown...

p.s. pool guy is named pool guy because when we first put him in the 50gal with the deeper pool, he sat on the edge of the pool for a solid twelve hours and didn't budge :roll: he has a little cave tunneled in beneath that same pool
I've had mine fall in the pools. I even have a crab that created his own water park. He would purposely drop from the vine into the pool. As long as they have a way out it's no problem.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:11 pm

My crabs, at least I haven't seen them, don't normally submerge. They just sit at the edge and dip their claws in (they have that chill vibe when doing so, y'know?). As long as it's deep enough for them to submerge obviously, and they have a way out (I have a strip of mesh in each pool so they can crawl in and out) they should be good! :D
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:08 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! I have a rock pile siliconed to one wall of the pool, kind of forms a mini staircase. Also, just finished the last touches on my new 50gal! Pool guy and sandy buried themselves right away and i caught sandy in her little air pocket right up against the glass before she pulled up a curtain :(

avoiding my phone light
As you can see, pool guy has definitely earned his name (see above)
Sandy's favorite pasttime is trying to eat fake plants instead of Arizona-grown cholla

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:14 pm

Crabby7Crabber wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:11 pm
My crabs, at least I haven't seen them, don't normally submerge. They just sit at the edge and dip their claws in (they have that chill vibe when doing so, y'know?). As long as it's deep enough for them to submerge obviously, and they have a way out (I have a strip of mesh in each pool so they can crawl in and out) they should be good! :D
haha, love that chill vibe right?

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:05 am

Hermiesguardian wrote: I've had mine fall in the pools. I even have a crab that created his own water park. He would purposely drop from the vine into the pool. As long as they have a way out it's no problem.
I remember that video. It was too funny. Your crabby looked like he was having so much fun plunking into the water below. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:05 pm

avocadocrabbies wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:14 pm
haha, love that chill vibe right?
Awh yeah! I can visualize those sunglasses just looking at them! :lol:
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:07 pm

avocadocrabbies wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:08 pm
Thanks for the advice everyone! I have a rock pile siliconed to one wall of the pool, kind of forms a mini staircase. Also, just finished the last touches on my new 50gal! Pool guy and sandy buried themselves right away and i caught sandy in her little air pocket right up against the glass before she pulled up a curtain :(

avoiding my phone light
As you can see, pool guy has definitely earned his name (see above)
Sandy's favorite pasttime is trying to eat fake plants instead of Arizona-grown cholla

I love your crabs, especially the parkor pro, Pool guy!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:49 pm

I have been experimenting with pools for about a year. I can't speak for anyone else and my general thoughts.

I stared with maybe 32 ounce containers with bubblers. They were maybe four inches deep. My strawberries would swim and hang out in them. My purples I only saw toe dip.

I did a few tweaks with those pools like adding toppers to help with overspray. I think if you search cabana or water cabanas it should pop up. I still saw the same behaviors.

In August I upgraded my saltwater pool to a 2.5 gallon tank with bubblers and a filter. I tried several ramps and platforms at different depths. Once again the straws will go all the way to the bottom and also hang out above the water and on a platform that's just below the water surface. I see the purples on the platforms above and just under the water. The only time I saw a purple swim was when I startled him. He hid and sunk like a rock.

I can't say my purples don't swim, I just never saw them. I personally think there is more to water than just putting a bowl of fresh and salt into the tank. I really think it's one of the last areas in hermit crab care that can still advance. Water went from having a wet sponge, to a shallow dish with a sponge, to no sponge and deeper pool. Then bubblers were added now it's slowly moving to bio active pools.

The caresheets and guidelines are great resources of proven techniques and practices. By taking that information and experimenting and trying different things is how progress is made. With the standard pools I'm my 29 I don't scrub them. I rinse the gunk out then and fill them up. The salt pool has had a green layer of algae on the mesh and walls since October. I see the purples hang on the side but still don't swim. Maybe I'll add bubblers and see if that does anything. I think the algae is creating a good bacteria making the water more natural.

I post this video all the time when it comes to water questions. I saw this at last year's Crab Con. After watching this I wanted to start experimenting with my pools. I think Courtney makes a lot of valid points and really makes you think. I think it is well worth a watch or two. I problably watched the water portion a dozen times.
https://youtu.be/4ZvBcrxy8Ic

I'm kind of going off the road with this post. Basically all summed up. Don't go for bare minimum depth. Experiment with what you are comfortable doing. Think about pros and cons of anything you want to try. If you have any questions because you aren't sure, ask!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:40 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:49 pm
I have been experimenting with pools for about a year. I can't speak for anyone else and my general thoughts.

I stared with maybe 32 ounce containers with bubblers. They were maybe four inches deep. My strawberries would swim and hang out in them. My purples I only saw toe dip.

I did a few tweaks with those pools like adding toppers to help with overspray. I think if you search cabana or water cabanas it should pop up. I still saw the same behaviors.

In August I upgraded my saltwater pool to a 2.5 gallon tank with bubblers and a filter. I tried several ramps and platforms at different depths. Once again the straws will go all the way to the bottom and also hang out above the water and on a platform that's just below the water surface. I see the purples on the platforms above and just under the water. The only time I saw a purple swim was when I startled him. He hid and sunk like a rock.

I can't say my purples don't swim, I just never saw them. I personally think there is more to water than just putting a bowl of fresh and salt into the tank. I really think it's one of the last areas in hermit crab care that can still advance. Water went from having a wet sponge, to a shallow dish with a sponge, to no sponge and deeper pool. Then bubblers were added now it's slowly moving to bio active pools.

The caresheets and guidelines are great resources of proven techniques and practices. By taking that information and experimenting and trying different things is how progress is made. With the standard pools I'm my 29 I don't scrub them. I rinse the gunk out then and fill them up. The salt pool has had a green layer of algae on the mesh and walls since October. I see the purples hang on the side but still don't swim. Maybe I'll add bubblers and see if that does anything. I think the algae is creating a good bacteria making the water more natural.

I post this video all the time when it comes to water questions. I saw this at last year's Crab Con. After watching this I wanted to start experimenting with my pools. I think Courtney makes a lot of valid points and really makes you think. I think it is well worth a watch or two. I problably watched the water portion a dozen times.
https://youtu.be/4ZvBcrxy8Ic

I'm kind of going off the road with this post. Basically all summed up. Don't go for bare minimum depth. Experiment with what you are comfortable doing. Think about pros and cons of anything you want to try. If you have any questions because you aren't sure, ask!
Thanks so much for this info! Also, could someone explain to me how Crabcon works/when it is and where? It sounds really interesting and exciting!

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:42 am

Crabby7Crabber wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:07 pm
I love your crabs, especially the parkor pro, Pool guy!
Aw, thanks! They're buried right now so not much parkour going on :(

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:18 am

avocadocrabbies wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:40 am
Thanks so much for this info! Also, could someone explain to me how Crabcon works/when it is and where? It sounds really interesting and exciting!
Here's the thread about Crab Con 2020. So far it is still going on as planned. It's just too difficult to guess what things will be like in just over two months with the current state of everything. If it isn't going to happen as an actual physical event the coordinators are looking to stream it somehow.

Crab Con 2020 is shaping up to be bigger than last year's. More speakers, more vendors, more captive bred baby adoptions! I think five of us on the HCA attended last year's. I believe I can honestly speak for every here that attended, we all had a great time and are looking forward to this year.

Crab Con 2020 thread
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=121125
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:29 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:18 am
Here's the thread about Crab Con 2020. So far it is still going on as planned. It's just too difficult to guess what things will be like in just over two months with the current state of everything. If it isn't going to happen as an actual physical event the coordinators are looking to stream it somehow.

Crab Con 2020 is shaping up to be bigger than last year's. More speakers, more vendors, more captive bred baby adoptions! I think five of us on the HCA attended last year's. I believe I can honestly speak for every here that attended, we all had a great time and are looking forward to this year.

Crab Con 2020 thread
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=121125
Oi.... I'm 6 hours away :( One more year and I'd be able to drive myself, but my mom wouldn't drive me more than an hour- and obviously we'd get mugged if we took a train *dripping sarcasm* but I can't wait to go in the coming years! Hope there's another one somewhere else in NY in the future :) Just looked at the itinerary and it sounds like a ton of fun!