Depth of pools

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Motörcrab

Re: Depth of pools

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:55 am

avocadocrabbies wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:29 am
Oi.... I'm 6 hours away :( One more year and I'd be able to drive myself, but my mom wouldn't drive me more than an hour- and obviously we'd get mugged if we took a train *dripping sarcasm* but I can't wait to go in the coming years! Hope there's another one somewhere else in NY in the future :) Just looked at the itinerary and it sounds like a ton of fun!
We drove about 5 hours from northeastern Pennsylvania. We had hermits in transit both directions! Luckily for us it's a very easy and somewhat enjoyable drive. Niagara Falls is a short drive away too! We are still trying to figure out how to pack all of our merch into a Chevy Sonic this year!

There is also a Facebook page and Instagram account fro Crab Con too!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CrabCon/
I'm not sure how to find their Instagram, If you search Crab Con it should come right up.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:19 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:55 am
We drove about 5 hours from northeastern Pennsylvania. We had hermits in transit both directions! Luckily for us it's a very easy and somewhat enjoyable drive. Niagara Falls is a short drive away too! We are still trying to figure out how to pack all of our merch into a Chevy Sonic this year!

There is also a Facebook page and Instagram account fro Crab Con too!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CrabCon/
I'm not sure how to find their Instagram, If you search Crab Con it should come right up.
Ooooh, what kind of merch is there? (I just had a fantasy flash of a shell shop the size of a mall and people trading plastic plants like salt and gold in the Sahara)
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:39 pm

Last year Mary was selling her ceramic stuff. Hides, ladders, dishes, and foods. Crabstreet was offering all sorts of foods, stickers and other accessories. Just two old Crabs was selling their foods, Ken Lipe from The Shell Store had insane deals on shells, Kathy Jo Walmer was selling her ladders, water ramps and other things.

I don't know all the vendors for this year. So far Mary will be there, Ken Lipe and his shells, Stacy and Crabstreet, xenocrab and I too. I'm sure there are a lot more.

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:06 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:39 pm
Last year Mary was selling her ceramic stuff. Hides, ladders, dishes, and foods. Crabstreet was offering all sorts of foods, stickers and other accessories. Just two old Crabs was selling their foods, Ken Lipe from The Shell Store had insane deals on shells, Kathy Jo Walmer was selling her ladders, water ramps and other things.

I don't know all the vendors for this year. So far Mary will be there, Ken Lipe and his shells, Stacy and Crabstreet, xenocrab and I too. I'm sure there are a lot more.
sounds awesome, wish I could go. (no harm in asking, though) are there crabcons every year?

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:28 pm

The plan is to have them every year. There was talk about after this one moving it to another city. Last year was the first convention style one.

It started off as an adoption weekend last year. Then since there were going to be a bunch or crabbers together a speaker or two was added, a a vendor. Then it kind of took off from there.

There were a few informal conventions years ago. Like if I invited a bunch of people to meet up and have lunch, talk hermit crabs and swap shells and stuff.

I really hope they do continue. Last year's got some local news coverage. The more exposure hermit crabs get for being exotic pets, the more chance we have to educate people with proper care and possibly reduce sales.

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:37 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:28 pm
The plan is to have them every year. There was talk about after this one moving it to another city. Last year was the first convention style one.

It started off as an adoption weekend last year. Then since there were going to be a bunch or crabbers together a speaker or two was added, a a vendor. Then it kind of took off from there.

There were a few informal conventions years ago. Like if I invited a bunch of people to meet up and have lunch, talk hermit crabs and swap shells and stuff.

I really hope they do continue. Last year's got some local news coverage. The more exposure hermit crabs get for being exotic pets, the more chance we have to educate people with proper care and possibly reduce sales.
all I can say: yes, yes, yes! :D

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:39 pm

avocadocrabbies wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:37 pm
all I can say: yes, yes, yes! :D
Agreed! Hoping it's still open and I can attend!
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

crabocado

Post by crabocado » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:46 pm

Back to the original topic - This thread caught my eye because I recently upgraded to a 20 gal tank so that I could increase the size of the main water dish to an "x-large" one that has about 2 to 2.5" depth, for my crab who has a 2.5" shell.

My first question is, what is meant when saying that hermit crabs "swim"? I honestly cannot imagine how they would do that, since their limbs are so pointed, lacking any kind of paddle-like structure. Do they just float, using the air trapped in their shell? And just make little leg movements to maneuver slowly across? Or are they just kind of walking around on the bottom of the pool?

Second question - Is there any risk of (terrestrial) hermit crabs drowning? I would expect it to be a real danger, since they are not at all adapted for breathing under water as far as I know, but then again, they do breed at the ocean's edge so maybe they do spend some time freely cavorting in the waves?

Currently I have placed a flat rock in the middle of my crab's new mega-dish because I am a little squeamish that she might somehow end up in the middle, be unable to get a grip, and lose consciousness!

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:36 pm

They don't "swim," they just walk around under water. I've never seen mine (PP's) do that voluntarily, though; I've only ever seen them on the edge by their own choice, no matter what my water sources were (and I've had several very different things over the years, including deep water sources with complicated fountains, and very simple bubble pools).

Yes, land hermit crabs can drown if they cannot get out of the water source, so having some kind of "climb-out" arrangement is important. They don't drown quickly, though; one source says that juveniles may struggle after about 10 minutes; adults can stay under about 20; some up to 60. I do think that is odd, though, since they begin their lives as waterlings, it would seem like the younger they were, the longer they could stay underwater, but I guess once they molt into their land form, they are landlubbers, and at that point maybe the determining factor is how much oxygen they have in their blood before submerging, which would be greater the larger the crab is, I suppose.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:16 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:49 pm

I post this video all the time when it comes to water questions. I saw this at last year's Crab Con. After watching this I wanted to start experimenting with my pools. I think Courtney makes a lot of valid points and really makes you think. I think it is well worth a watch or two. I problably watched the water portion a dozen times.
https://youtu.be/4ZvBcrxy8Ic
Wow. Well, I've had these guys for almost 10 years now, and after watching just the water part of that video, I feel completely inadequate. It appears that, to really thrive, they need access to at the very least small balanced aquaria for their water sources. I don't think that is within my capability. Quite depressing. :crabblush:
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton