Water Quality tester.

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
CrabbyChelle628

Water Quality tester.

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:03 pm

What type of water quality tester should I get? Does the API master kit cover both the salt water and freshwater in one kit? Or do I need to get two separate kits? And would just the strips work or should I get the chemicals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by CrabbyChelle628 on Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Water Quality tester.

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:19 pm

API has two kits, one for freshwater and one for salt.

Strips are less accurate, but since the crabs don’t live in water I don’t think you need to be super precise, anyways.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:40 pm

Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are the big three to know because they can cause gill damage. The other parameters aren't as important for land animals as they can adapt to a range of variables. I'm trying to remember what the differences are between the salt and fresh tests. Some are interchangeable but some have to be specific because of the salts.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Links

Post by Links » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:57 pm

I use the api master freshwater kit for both. There’s YouTube videos showing the difference and why you only need to buy one. All you need is the chart for the saltwater if you buy the freshwater. Courtney Karr also touches on this exact subject. That’s where I first heard to just buy one kit. I found a printable chart for the saltwater kit online. It wasn’t easy to find. And I printed it on a gloss paper for photos. I’m just saying what I’ve done.

Links

Post by Links » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:09 am

Topic author
CrabbyChelle628

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:45 pm

Does either the API fresh water or the API saltwater master test kit cover all of the test that I need for good water, for my crabs?

Links

Post by Links » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:32 pm

I have the api freshwater master kit and found a color card for saltwater online. Not sure that’s the be route but that’s what Courtney said. There may be a way to obtain the saltwater card from api which would be better than printing one. Also my eyesight isn’t the best and there’s a certain way to read the colors. Sometimes I can hold the tubes in different ways under different lighting that the colors look different. I think if you hold it about an inch away from a white background is best. But you really have to get a feel for the colors. Sometimes I like to test my water before adding it to the pools just to see what clean water looks like. Also some fish tank forums advise of using a different brand than api.

Edit: there’s also probably nothing wrong with using test strips.

RiNiKy506

Water Quality tester.

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:52 am

I know I looked into this when I started my pools, I think both the freshwater and saltwater kits are the same testing stuff, just the cards are different. Like Wode said the ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are most important. I have a terrible memory but it was cheaper to just get the three separate kits for just those than the master kit.

Topic author
CrabbyChelle628

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:01 pm

Ok thanks