Can I see your water pools?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
HermieCrabs

Can I see your water pools?

Post by HermieCrabs » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:47 am

I am redoing our water pools and I would love to see photos of how you have constructed yours! Both fresh and salt water, ladders, rocks, etc.

If you have a photo, would you post it here? It would help me decide how to change ours up!

Thanks in advance!

hermie3

Re: Can I see your water pools?

Post by hermie3 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:20 am

I'm interested in seeing this too! Great idea. Thanks for asking and hoping you'll get some responses!

SlimPickins

Post by SlimPickins » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:23 am

Interested. New crabber here. My wife and I are about to build a 125 gallon tat and am looking to make infinity pool systems using 3+ gallon containers and smaller 1+ gallon containers and will be implementing a waterfall to keep the water flowing. It works perfect in my head :lol: . I would like to (eventually) have a self-sufficient bio set-up so I am starting with baby-steps.

Julsie

Post by Julsie » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:56 pm

Mine is really basic compared to some hardcore ones i’ve come across. Simple air pump system from Walmart cost me under $20. Added some mesh to use as a ramp and zip tied them through a hole in the container and added rocks. My dad drilled a small hole into the lid of the tank to wire the tube through. I’m curious to see some other pools as well. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:00 pm

Here's mine.
Freshwater is a small tupperware container (ladder made out of mesh, has pothos in it) and far right, saltwater pool - glass siliconed in, access by rocks to submerge.Image

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:22 pm

Here are the water pools in my 100 gallon tank

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:49 pm

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=120667

Here's a link to the cycled water pools i made last year out of 2.5 gallon aquariums. My crabs love them!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Links

Post by Links » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:39 pm

It’s hard to tell in these pics but they are deep enough for the crabs to submerge. Although I will be getting something deeper sometime. As well as hopefully finding at least a 75 gallon tank. Image

mool

Post by mool » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:52 pm

Thanks for this post and thanks to those of you who posted their pool setups. When I set my tank up the "in" thing to do was recess the pools into the substrate. My pools are at ground level. Is that not a thing anymore? Also, my pools are virtually empty compared to y'alls. The fresh pool has two river stones that hold down the bubble stone. The salt pool has two river stones in it. The stones are loose, not glued down.

CrabKate

Post by CrabKate » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:59 pm

So do the crabs spend time under water in both the Fresh and Salt water pools? I’m setting up my new habitat and thought I might as well piggy back a question on this thread.

mool

Post by mool » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:11 am

They do need to be able to fully submerge. I rarely see my underwater. Mostly they sit on the edge and daintily dip their toes in.

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:12 am

My crabs get in both pools, but probably spend more time in the freshwater...and yes, they will submerge completely sometimes! I have clear containers so that I can see them still when they’re completely under, I love watching them in the water!
Here’s my pool/moss pit set up on the freshwater side. I used drawer organizers, with the smaller one set inside the larger one. Those are Marimo Moss Balls in there...the crabs like to sit on top of them, lol.

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:44 pm

Wow it’s so funny different crabs can prefer different pools more. Mine prefer the saltwater.Image
(Water pools are dirty because they like to kick eco earth in while drinking)
but I do see them drinking from both.

PinkyNTwinkie33

Post by PinkyNTwinkie33 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:56 pm

crabbycasey wrote:My crabs get in both pools, but probably spend more time in the freshwater...and yes, they will submerge completely sometimes! I have clear containers so that I can see them still when they’re completely under, I love watching them in the water!
Here’s my pool/moss pit set up on the freshwater side. I used drawer organizers, with the smaller one set inside the larger one. Those are Marimo Moss Balls in there...the crabs like to sit on top of them, lol.

Just wanted to say your tank looks awesome! Love that pool set up and the idea of using drawer organizers!! Image

6 PPs -
2 Large: Pinky and Blue
3 Medium/Large: Speedy, Cupid and Tiny
1 Teeny: Totz

1 Cat: Twinkie
❤️🧡💛💚💙💜

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:41 pm

PinkyNTwinkie33 wrote: Just wanted to say your tank looks awesome! Love that pool set up and the idea of using drawer organizers!! Image

Thank you! It worked really nicely since they’re made for stacking like that! The larger one acts as a place holder for when I pull the pools out to change the water. Also, that’s where I did my moss pit (helps with spillover too)...in the extra space of the bottom, larger organizer. I knew what I wanted and when I walked by them on the shelf at Walmart, I knew they’d work perfectly! Image