How Much Salt

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
jonathon1989

How Much Salt

Post by jonathon1989 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:19 am

I currently use Instant Ocean and have always used a half cup of salt per gallon of water according to the instructions. Is this okay? I've been wondering if all this time I've been using the right amount.

Jonathon

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How Much Salt

Post by curlysister » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:54 am

From the water care sheet:

All of the major salt brands are measured the same, depending on how much you need:

1 gallon of water to ½ cup of salt mix

½ gallon (which is 2 quarts) of water to ¼ cup salt mix

1 Pint (which is 2 cups) of water to 1 Tablespoon (which is 3 teaspoons) salt mix

1 cup of water to ½ Tablespoon (which is 1 and ½ teaspoon) of salt mix
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Enson

Post by Enson » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:11 pm

I'm definitely not an expert, but here's just an opinion. Since they normally deal with varying levels of brackish water in the wild and in our habitats there should also be fresh water close by if they need to dilute it, I doubt it's very critical.

If you want to measure it there are tools to measure the specific gravity of the water and make sure you get it to the salinity you want.

The instant ocean hydrometer on the left is going to be less accurate but much cheaper. The refractometer on the right is the most accurate method at home test I've heard of. "King of DIY" Joey Mullin on youtube has a good video showing how they both work and how to use the refractometer, or at least a very similar one. He's a bit full of himself but he does a good job explaining how to use it properly. Start at 11:45 if you want to skip to this part. The video has some other info in it for saltwater tank setup.

Sorry that's just engineer in me talking. Lol

https://youtu.be/8g9t5Tm5Hb8[IMG]https: ... 13eda7.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Momma And Company

Post by Momma And Company » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:55 pm

jonathon1989 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:19 am
I currently use Instant Ocean and have always used a half cup of salt per gallon of water according to the instructions. Is this okay? I've been wondering if all this time I've been using the right amount.

Jonathon
This is correct, according to the box instructions - crabbies, however, ooy boy. I know this thread is old, I know! But if you could tell us how your babies are doing, that would help a lot.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:34 am

Momma And Company wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:55 pm
This is correct, according to the box instructions - crabbies, however, ooy boy. I know this thread is old, I know! But if you could tell us how your babies are doing, that would help a lot.
The ratio of IO to water on the box is correct for crabs.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers