When you have a DIY pool

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author

When you have a DIY pool

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:57 am

Hi guys!

I was wondering, when you do your own pool by glueing plexi on the tank's sides, how do you clean that up? You can't take the pool out of the tank so.

Topic author
Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs

Post by Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:07 pm

I am going to be building my pool within the next few months whenever my jumbo decides to surface from her molt. When cleaning it I was planning to get the water out with a vacuum and then soaking up the rest with paper towels.

ripshaw
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by ripshaw » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:04 pm

i did this once, and did exactly as hermit has described. let me save you a lot of headache...nonremovable water bowls look cool but are a pain in the rear. they are cool for about a week until you decide that taking half an hour to remove all gravel, etc and suck up gross water every few days is not worth the cool look haha. besides after a few weeks just wiping out with paper towels wont do the trick because you know how the sides of those water bowls get 'slimed' up, they need a good soap and hot water cleaning every so often which you cant do unless you're deep cleaning
~ Rip Tang, female crabber!

dbolack

Re: When you have a DIY pool

Post by dbolack » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:33 pm

Lunamia wrote:Hi guys!

I was wondering, when you do your own pool by glueing plexi on the tank's sides, how do you clean that up? You can't take the pool out of the tank so.
Our plan was for a removable pool. Something that would sit in snug but we could pull out and wash if need be. Now if I could just find the time.

Topic author

Simple

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:39 am

I made a corner tank for our crabs.. very easy and simple to pull out and clean.

It is basically a small, triangular box.. it is flush to the side and front so you can see them in the water.. then a sloping side to get out.. all connected to a plexiglass bottom.

Most of the time involved is for the silicone to set up.

Enjoy!

Dave :)

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:34 am

I have two unremovable pools I use a turkey baster to suck the sand and poop out. YOu can get a siphon or an aquarium vacuum too...that is what I am going to get :) There are some cheap ones at http://www.petdiscounters.com in the fish/aquarium section.
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:00 am

I plan on using the ZooMed 50 external turtle filter, to cycle the water. Hopefuly that, and Live plantlife(to remove nitrates and ammonias) will reduce the need for, frequent, "Total" water changes.

For the total water change I planned on using my fish tanks gravel vaccume. With out the large attachment(ie. just a 1/2" tube). And just Siphon it out. Like I did after my leak check. I would have to say i got about 99% of the water out(1.8g Total). I just used a regular hand towel to sop the rest up...

Granted that was with out the rocks and whatnot that will be there when the tank is up and running ... However I also will have the frontend of the pond be the deep end... So I will still be able to get most of the water out leaving everything in... :? Well see :D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:13 pm

Woah I forgot about this post hehe :D Well, I wanted to have an non-removable pool to create a waterfall but for now, as long as I am still studying, I think normal water dishes, with some nice little rocks in and around and bubbles will be enough. I still took notes of what you all said for later :wink:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:27 am

I heard that mangrove seedlings are good for cleaning water, and the crabs like to eat them. I heard that you can order some off of ebay, and I did some research and found some theme park aquariums have a cleaning system where they pump water into tanks with loads of mangrove plants in them for cleaning before sending it back to the main tank.

Of course you would have to make sure you have proper lighting for the plants to thrive. If you use fluorescent tubes that should be adequate.