Molting and Baths

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

Molting and Baths

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:41 pm

I was just wondering, another one of our crabs just came up. So now
I am to three. He is the smallest crab we have. His name is Prince.
I wasnt sure if he had molted or not. I had the other two crabs out earlier and had put them up later on I went by their tank and noticed a shell kinda like the one Lady Liberty was in when she came up from molting. I thought she had changed shells again but I got to lookin and I didnt see her red/white/blue shell anywhere.. I got to lookin at the FB..and noticed a hole in it where Prince came up.

My question is do I need to keep givin baths every couple of days
when they each come up?? I dont want to give the crabs that have been above ground baths every couple of days if this will harm them.

I will be havin the other two come up with a couple more days I figure... One of them has all but a few crubs exo left..and the other hermie has just his claws left to eat.. so hope should be up soon..

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:54 pm

i wouldnt reccomend bathing them every few days... my e's HATE baths.. strange lil beggers.. snap shut in their shells and refuse to be bathed.. altho poor lil Gumm cant get in his shell all the way atm so he ran around hissing at me.. hope hes ok.. hes mooping now that i put him in ISO.. =(

my PP's seem to enjoy a good bath but to be honest, i only bath them about every other week. two of my 4 molters are up and i gave them alittle over a week to settle and im going to bath them and put them into a spare tank to wait for the rest of the crew..

just check when you do bathe... if a crab seems abit nervous or aggitated, id suggest possibly not bathing them.. after all you can put a deeper water dish in your tank with pebbles in part of it so they can bath themselves if they want...

just me.. but that is what i do for the E's anyways...

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:53 pm

Be careful not to bathe them too much because it can strip the oils from their exoskeleton and stress them out.