Hermie is up but

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Hermie is up but

Post by Hermie escape artist » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:02 pm

Hermie came up sun after 2-3 month molt ... he chowed down then but been eating less and less and hasnt touched hos food last night or today except his wood ... he hides like alllll the time now .... when will he be comfortable again he use to be active when ever day night didnt matter !!!! Now he like scarred hides allll the time
I peeked under a blanket i put at night only time he comes out and still.at that time he is still usually hiding .... but he is more willing i put him in the water and before he would like scurry around and be scarred now he actually gets out calmer he actually stayed in the one time
.... how long does it take them.to be comfortable around us again or to trust us again he use to !!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Cococrabgirl!

Re: Hermie is up but

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:17 pm

From my personal experence it just takes time.To help him want to eat give him his favorite foods and for water if you are really worried that he is not drinking put a shallow dish near the hide he likes,but still also provide him his normal water dishes. Try not to stress him out, try to keep what ever room he is in quite,and just wait till he is his normal self.
My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:43 pm

Please do not dip him/her in the water. It will mess up their shell salinity. They mix their own msw and fw in their shell.

Also, it is normal for hermits to be scared of us. They are prey animals. If you have plenty of hides in the tank you are more likely to see him/her out more if there are places for him/her to go when he/she does get scared. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:56 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Please do not dip him/her in the water. It will mess up their shell salinity. They mix their own msw and fw in their shell.

Also, it is normal for hermits to be scared of us. They are prey animals. If you have plenty of hides in the tank you are more likely to see him/her out more if there are places for him/her to go when he/she does get scared. :)
I put him in his eater couple times ! ..... ...ImageImageImageImageis that a bad thing ... guess ill stop doin that .. ya i took one of his hides out while he was molting i need to put it back in

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:56 pm

Hermie escape artist wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:Please do not dip him/her in the water. It will mess up their shell salinity. They mix their own msw and fw in their shell.

I put him in his eater couple times ! ..... ...ImageImageImageImageis that a bad thing ... guess ill stop doin that .. ya i took one of his hides out while he was molting i need to put it back in

Water

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:28 pm

Yes- definitely don’t do that anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:27 pm

GotButterflies wrote:

Yes- definitely don’t do that anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok Image he totally put sand in all his water bowls .... and dug a whole behind it ... so maybe he was trying to tell me something

THANKS

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:34 pm

Mine put sand in their water bowls all the time! I swear it's their favorite past time! LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:07 am

curlysister wrote:Mine put sand in their water bowls all the time! I swear it's their favorite past time! LOL!
Lol Imageya hes done it before to